lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2022, 09:46 PM   #1
Neaulty
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 precedent needs choke every time stops

Precedent needs choke to start at every single stop.

Recently replaced fuel, fuel pump, air filter/hose, fuel filters, and a new carburetor.

Is this a solenoid problem or a carb that needs adjustment?

I’ve never adjusted a carb , just replaced it and placed new gaskets.

It cranks but doesn’t start without choke. Once it’s up and running, it operates just fine - no backfires or anything. Sputters some at really low speeds.

Thank you!
Chris
Neaulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2022, 09:50 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2008 precedent needs choke every time stops

First I’d pull the intake hose off the front of the carb and make sure the butterfly closes all the way when you let go of the pedal.

It’s also probably a good idea to give it a cleaning. It’s not hard, all you need is a couple screwdrivers, a 10mm, can of carb or brake cleaner and compressed air if possible. It only comes apart one way and only goes back together one way so really not much to mess up. It’s a much better option than replacing it with a cheap China carb that will usually cause more problems than it solves.

If you’ve got a Chinese carb on there now then at may very well be part of the problem as well. It should say keihin on the side of it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:40 PM   #3
Neaulty
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the reply. If the carb is new, it probably won’t need cleaning though right?

How do you adjust the butterfly valve if the choke needs to be applied every time we come to a stop?
Old 07-07-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you did not buy an oem Keihin carb then it will probably create more problems than it solves.

Start by cleaning the original and putting it back on. Send the $20 China junker back to the jungle store or chuck it in the f- it bucket.

There is no adjustment for the butterfly/throttle plate except a screw that will hold it slightly open for engines that idle. You can take that screw out and throw it in the same bucket. The throttle plate should close completely when you release the pedal
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:27 PM   #5
KartMan154
Gone Wild

Club Car

Post Re: 2008 precedent needs choke every time stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If you did not buy an oem Keihin carb then it will probably create more problems than it solves.

Start by cleaning the original and putting it back on. Send the $20 China junker back to the jungle store or chuck it in the f- it bucket.

There is no adjustment for the butterfly/throttle plate except a screw that will hold it slightly open for engines that idle. You can take that screw out and throw it in the same bucket. The throttle plate should close completely when you release the pedal
CP241: surprisingly I installed $25 Amazon carb in a friends Club Car. It fired right up, no adjustments at all & is still working good 7 months later.
KartMan154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:35 PM   #6
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh it’s just a older cart I would not mess with it I mean I’m an old dips#$t and I need coffee in the morning to get going but afterwards I’m fine and as I say don’t go chasing small things like oil drips and slow cold starting
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:45 PM   #7
Neaulty
Not Yet Wild

I’m just looking to get it to the point where I can crank and start without using the choke every time I come to a stop! Maybe adjust the mixture screw?
Old 07-09-2022, 05:58 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Carb adjustment is very important for starting on these. Incorrect carb settings will cause hard starting, and so will some other issues that usually arise from people making modifications.

First make sure your governor cable has some slack and that the throttle lever on the carb is able to close all the way on its own with the Go pedal up. If the cable is pulling the throttle lever open you will have problems starting.
Next make sure when you push the pedal that the microswitch in the pedal box clicks and the engine starts cranking BEFORE the throttle plate starts to pull open. If the throttle plate pulls open before the engine cranks it will have a hard time starting, and the cable or throttle linkage will need to be adjusted.

As for the carb itself, I prefer to keep/use original carbs whenever possible. The cheapo replacement ones can cause more problems than they fix. If you still have the original I would clean that one out really well and put it back on the cart.
For initial carb adjustment back off the throttle stop screw until it is not touching the throttle lever. Turn the screw in until it just barely touches and then turn in 1/4 turn. For a pedal start cart this is the proper setting for the throttle butterfly.

Mixture screw adjustment is limited on the original carb, and is usually not necessary to adjust, but it should start in the middle of the adjustment range.
If you’re in a warmer climate then you can probably turn the screw IN (clockwise) some to lean out the starting mixture a bit to avoid fouling plugs when starting. If in a cold climate turn the screw OUT (counter clockwise) some to enrich the starting mixture.

With an aftermarket carb initial setting of the adjustment screw should be to turn IN all the way until it just barely stops. Do not try to make it tight or it can deform the jetting in the carb or break the screw.
Turn the screw OUT 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns. Warm the engine up and see how it starts with the screw set at 1-1/2 turn and if it’s still hard to start try turning out 1/4 turn at a time and see if it gets better. Some carbs will start just fine at 1-1/2 turns out, and some may require 2 to 3 turns out in order to start properly, depending on how junky the passages and machining in the carb.
If you have to turn out more than 3 turns then usually no amount of further turning will make any difference and something else is wrong, such as damaged carb gaskets, incorrect throttle cable settings, or incorrect valve lash would be the most common things.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:22 PM   #9
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh it’s that bad maybe try a fuel pump
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
Neaulty
Not Yet Wild

Already replaced fuel pump and filters
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car