lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
horaceman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2014 RXV Solenoid Issues

For the second time in 6 months, the solenoid on my 2014 RXV went out. The controller has been tuned by Bob Boyce and I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing regular solenoid failures?

Also, when the solenoid went out last time, I had it replaced by a local repair shop because I was not able to sufficiently determine that was the problem. I ordered a new 48v solenoid for my cart this time, but until is gets here, I borrowed one from my mother's RXV. Both carts are 48v carts, but when I went to put her solenoid on my cart, I noticed hers was 48v and the one that burned up on mine was 36v. Is it okay to use the 48v solenoid or should I get a 36v replacement?
horaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2014 RXV Solenoid Issues

Do you have a 1206AC-5201 RXV controller? If you do it takes a 36v solenoid unless someone changed the parameters.

Reprogramming the controller won't affect the solenoid to make it go out.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:50 PM   #3
horaceman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I do have a Curtis 1206AC-5201 controller. Bob programmed my controller a few years ago and I am not sure what voltage solenoid I had on the cart. Based on everything I have read so far, I have to assume it was a 36v solenoid. Not knowing this, I ordered a 48v replacement solenoid. I will return the 48v and get a 36v. Thanks!
horaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Old 07-09-2022, 08:07 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you have access to a programmer you don't have to return the 48v, just a parameter change in the controller to correct the issue.

As a side note, the trombetta solenoid that is typically installed is great for a "stock" cart in both 36 and 48v sizes. However a modified cart wrecks havoc on the currently produced trombetta solenoids. I don't know if they made a change or not, but I know every one I have gotten recently has failed in carts with either a Navitas controller or (in 2 seperate cases) the 350a curtis upgrade sold by ezgo. I have no idea what Bob does when he tunes the controllers but if it effects the initial amp draw on takeoff, I would suggest you get something heavier like a sw180 or a MZJ.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:36 PM   #6
Covanche
Not Yet Wild

The sw180 works great on mine.
Covanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:52 AM   #7
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Reprogramming the controller for more power absolutely affects the solenoid.
More current is passing through it.
You should upgrade to a heavier duty solenoid any time you upgrade the controller either by reprogramming for more power or replacing with a Navitas.
Solenoids are really cheap, there’s no reason not to.
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:19 AM   #8
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

There are hundreds of stock carts out there that have been reprogrammed. There’re running a stock solenoid in them and are running just fine. Just because you reprogram a controller doesn’t mean the stock solenoid is overpowered. Now saying that were talking about a stock cart not a lifted cart with 23” tires. Now with a lifted cart 23” tires yes it should go to the heavy duty solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO