lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2022, 07:52 PM   #1
IRB Living
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo txt 48 speed gears

Hi folks. New to site. My bud recommended it and I have learned a bunch. Hoping to get some information from the knowledge well. I am trying to get more speed without heavy mods. My cart is street legal but too slow. I live in Florida so torque isn’t an issue. That said, trying to keep up with beach traffic. Thinking about getting an 8:1 or 6:1 gear. Any thoughts. I am running 19 trying to get to 28-30 without spending $$$$$.
IRB Living is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2022, 05:22 AM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo txt 48 speed gears

By changing to those gears you put more load on the motor and reduce torque. Would be best for you to list details about your cart. What motor? What controller? Tire diameter? What drive system? SPEED COSTS MONEY!
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you drive on the beach the soft sand and slow speed will be killers if you add taller gears.

Is your cart lifted? If you have any steering issues those get worse with higher speeds.

If your cart still has a stock controller I'd get an Alltrax from Carts Unlimited:
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html

My cart has an Alltrax, larger tires and a lithium conversion with higher V but can get to 32mph if I push it. That's a bit crazy so I keep it dialed back. The Alltrax will let you dial in your regen braking so you can eliminate it or accentuate it. I almost never use physical brakes on my cart, the regen works very well for me. $0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:41 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Something else to mention is that most people consider 6,000 the max safe motor RPM.

Enter your info here:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/speed-calculator.php

Your gear ratio is 12, your max RPM is 6,000 and then just enter whatever the outside diameter is on your tires and it gives you the theoretical max speed. The stock controller won't give you 6k rpm but an Alltrax will allow that. You may not reach 6k but that is dependent on the batteries and tire pressure and whatnot.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:43 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

High speed gears are almost always a poor choice in golf carts. The manufactures of these gears chose 50% or 100% more speed. The stock components just cannot support the accompanying 50% or 100% loss of torque associated with the gear change.
Consider an Alltrax 400 control will increase torque 25-30% and net speeds of 22-23mph on stock tires. If you give up 25% of that torque increase for an equally taller tire (22-23 inches) you will be at top speeds of 27-28 mph. Which is plenty fast for beach traffic IMHO.

Plus you can do this is steps. $600 for a controller/solenoid now will immediately get the power and speed increase above. Andy you can add big tires later, even an aftermarket motor... if desired.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:14 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would stick with stock gear ratios especially if going with oversized tires!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Amen to that
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:10 PM   #8
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Or even going to a higher gear.

I have a 16.9:1 TXT axle that also has the limited slip from an RXV in it. Its the best thing to drive up a hill.

1.jpg

Some magic with the center gear and wham you can have the RXV rear with mechanical brakes :)
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 01:38 PM   #9
jtgriesman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Gonna try some CPR on this thread as its 2 years old but pretty close to my question.
I have a 2017 TXT48, stretched 6 seater, 28" tires, navitas TSX 600amp controller, 4 12v AGM Hawker batteries out of a humvee and D&D 170-513-0001B (ES-9B-50) motor.

Per D&D
170-513-0001B (ES-9B-50) running on 48v max rpm is 3150
I'm guessing on 72v it would be around 4725rpm? advised not to exceed 500amps on the armature.

So do I regear from 12.44:1 to 8:1 increasing 48v speed from 22-33mph? The rate the motor at 60Ft-lbs torque at 1314rpm with armature current at 394.5Amps and power output at 15hp.

OR is that too much of a torque loss meaning I should
Swap in a 72v Navitas controller (which I cant find much less a price) or Alltrax SR72500, add 2 more batteries (one day lithium) which by the calculator put me at 31.5mph with 12.44 gears. D&D says the motor with 72v and armature current at 410Amps (they said not to exceed 500Amps) is rated at 70 Ft-lbs of Torque at 1736 rpm and power output of 23.14hp

Last option (for this motor) that I can see, 72v controller and battery swap, add the 8:1 gears and limit the rpm to 4000rpm which would limit the cart to 39mph. I'm adding a long travel kit which I may build myself or modify an allsports 8" lift long travel to widen the cart even more.

Live in Charleston SC, three's only 1 hill in my area and I can easily avoid it. Registered as an LSV so technically 35mph is the limit....

I'm already in $900 on the motor and I think the controller was $850 when I bought it in 2020. So going for a Navitas 5kw AC conversion is probably what I should have done in hindsight, dont tell my wife I admitted that, but the controller was added when we bought it and I burned up the AMD motor just before family was coming in town so I swapped out the motor quickly so they could use it.

LOTS AND LOTS of information but as I've found through searching this forum, everyone says "send more information" I don't think I'm leaving anything out.

perfect world I find a used cart on the cheap with a 5kw Navitas swap and put that in the Beast, then id have a fun project with the donor cart and making some sort of torque monster crawler with the D&D motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeastSecretspot.jpg (179.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Beastfrontend.jpg (111.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Beast4runner.jpg (266.0 KB, 0 views)
jtgriesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 02:15 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Probably need to start a new thread but what is killing you is the low rpm of your motor but it sounds like that is how it was built. If you could get to 5000 rpm you would be about 33 mph.

Used the calculator here https://spicerparts.com/calculators/...rpm-calculator with transmission gears set to 1.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO