lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2023, 07:25 PM   #1
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Another 290 sputter question

I see there are a lot of active threads regarding a 290 not running right but mine is a little different so I figured I’d start my own thread. Y’all always seem to get me pointed in the right direction.

This started last year…I changed the plug, cleaned the carb, new fuel pump, etc. I thought i fixed the problem but I did not. Unfortunately we got into the winter months and the golf cart didn’t get touched so I haven’t given it much thought until today.

When cold, the engine fires and will travel a few feet, sputter and cut out. I can do this several times and/or run the engine is neutral until the engine is warm/hot and then it seems to run fine.

What’s the BGW brain-trust say? Coil, igniter, or rev limiter? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
ReelTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2023, 07:29 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Another 290 sputter question

Don’t overthink it.

Clean the carb, give it some fresh gas and maybe adjust the valves. See where that leaves you.

If the coil, or rev limiter fails it will have issues either ALL the time, ir when it gets hot. Not from a cold start.

These don’t have an ignitor. Everything spark is built into the coil.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:05 PM   #3
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ran it again today. And I swear for the first few minutes it just seems like it's starving for fuel. It'll run and then it's like it runs out of fuel after about 2-3 minutes. Stop, choke it, put some fuel in the carb bowl and it'll run again. Off and own for about 2-3 times of running out of gas. Then all of a suden, it decides it going to fun fine.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:38 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You said you replaced the fuel pump. What fuel pump did you buy ( specifically)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:10 PM   #5
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’ll have to look into the fuel pump.

Question, so it happened again today. Same thing. Here’s what I observed today. There appears to be a fuel leak around the carb. Is it possible that after sitting for a while I’m sucking air causing the problem? Once enough fuel passes through, the gasket gets saturated enough to stop sucking air and it starts to run correct? Or am I way off base?
Old 04-10-2023, 07:32 PM   #6
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

So I went to check the fuel pump brand (couldn’t see a name brand, it’s a metal, not plastic one) and decided to look into the leak around the carb a little bit and noticed the intake manifold is cracked. I undoubtedly has a fuel issue causing the problem so I’ll replace the manifold and and gaskets around the carb this weekend and see what that gets me.
Old 05-02-2023, 03:51 PM   #7
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’m truly at a loss for words with this golf cart. I can’t figure out what’s wrong with it.

Symptoms are the same. It runs intermittently until it warms up and then it runs fine. I’m convinced it’s not a fuel problem. I’be replaced everything in the fuel system…even the carb.

What would cause it to have intermittent spark while it’s cold but once it fires off enough to get warm it runs fine?
Old 05-02-2023, 04:05 PM   #8
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

The fuel setting on the carb is lean, or maybe you just need to use the choke until it warms up.
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #9
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks_club View Post
The fuel setting on the carb is lean, or maybe you just need to use the choke until it warms up.
Negative on the carb setting. It’s right.

Choking doesn’t have any effect on whether it cuts out or not. Again, I’m of the belief this can’t be a fuel issue.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:40 PM   #10
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Don’t overthink it.

Clean the carb, give it some fresh gas and maybe adjust the valves. See where that leaves you.

If the coil, or rev limiter fails it will have issues either ALL the time, ir when it gets hot. Not from a cold start.

These don’t have an ignitor. Everything spark is built into the coil.
Actually, the '92-96 FE290s do have an ignitor, a tiny little can with one spade terminal mounted under the rev limiter, and use a different type of coil.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car