lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
JeffL
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas EZ-GO Won't Rev Up

I am working on my father in laws ez go golf cart. The other day it just stopped running properly. I replaced the worn out starter/generator belt, cleaned the carb (which seemed fine), and put a new spark plug in it (which has good strong spark). I have the rear wheels up in the air, and when I try to get it to run, it starts but won't rev up. The throttle and everything is working properly, opening the butterfly and functioning as it should. He did mention it was very low on oil (which he filled when he noticed) right before this happened. It seems to have good compression (testing this by holding my finger over spark plug hole), and I did bleed out the oil to the pump. I also tried removing the drive belt to see if it would start without it on, and it does the same thing, starts and runs alittle higher than idle, but won't rev up. The cart is an older 4 wheel ez go 2 stroke golf cart, but I can't find any tags on it to get the exact year. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? The gas should be good as he says it is fresh. All information and ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
JeffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gas EZ-GO Won't Rev Up

your finger over the hole compression check is worthless. need a good gauge. they pretty inexpensive. does your engine stand up or does it lay down? if you are still using the oil pump and it ran out of oil just a little bit , you are in trouble. this why most switch to premix. luck jim

look in the glove box on the right side. the mfg.# will tell you the year.

they started being upright in 89 i think.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

There is a difference between simply cranking vs. running. (Many mistakenly think that the engine is already running when in fact it simply is the sound of a cranking engine).

Now if the motor is truly running, it's possible that the cable from the governor side to the carb is broken/cut. When stepping on the gas pedal, check accelerator cable connections by ascertaining that the carb's butterfly is also opening.
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
JeffL
Not Yet Wild

I will get a compression tester and test the compression. The engine is horizontal, and now that I know where to find the #'s I will get them. The motor is definately running. It cranks and fires, but will not rev. The throttle is working properly, as I have the seat off while running, and I am running the carb butterfly by hand. It just wo't rev up. Any other ideas?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
rib33024

WARNING

Take the pipe loose and crank it for a second DO NOT RUN IT LONG-just for a second and see what it does the pipe might me cloged---DO NOT RUN IT FOR MORE THAN A SECOND OR TOO

BGW...or... anyone on this forum, ... BGW itself, is/are NOT responsible for your actions in the result of using, or, misusing this information that may cause possible damage to yourself, your property, or someone else!
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Oppps missed it was a 2 stroke. Check for a plugged muffler. Loosen the bolts at the connection joint so it can leak.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
JeffL
Not Yet Wild

I felt the exhaust as it was idling/cranking, and it seemed to be coming out good, but I will check better tomorrow. What should the compression be? Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

no valves on a two stroke BBM.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
JeffL
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys, I loosened up the bolts between the muffler and the pipe and there it went, reved right up. I cut the bottom of the muffler off and it had about a cup of water in it and a inch and a half of crap. It also had some broken piece in it that I removed along with one of the baffles and then I welded the bottom back on. It might be alittle louder now, but it will definately flow. I will be putting the muffler back on tomorrow, and I hope it is back to normal. Thanks for all your help, glad I found this sight.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
JeffL
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys, so much for that. I cut the muffler open and cleaned out all the blockage and welded it back together, and it is definatley flowing good. When I put it back on the cart still wont run with it on. Compression is 90psi. Does this mean it needs piston and rings? Is this to low of a #? Also if I am going to rebuild it, should I buy the kit with the new jug, piston, rings ,etc? Where is a good place to buy a rebuild kit? Any other info on doing a rebuild would be appreciated. Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO