lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default new to modifed carts, need advice

I have an older Yamaha cart. I want to modify it somewhat. How do i tell what year the cart is? What are some basic mods to do ? maybe carbs, get rid of exaust? Any help is appreciated. I have many Mikuni carbs home from 26MM to 40 MM. I am pretty proficent with two and four strokes. I have a welder, maybe make a straight exaust? .
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: new to modifed carts, need advice

maybe make a straight exaust? . if its a 2 stroke
you will lose power. larger carbs will help peak horse power if the engine
can breathe, however you can run into stumbling problems due to the loss
of low end vacuum signal.

search subaru mouse a member here that does some wild cart engines.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Search 'yamaha time line golf cart' and you will find the yamaha page showing all the carts they made, to help you ID your cart.

IMO you can fiddle with cart engines but not worth it, you can get the 2 stroke G1 to run harder. But its just easier to start with another engine. Even now you can replace a 4 stroke with a 15hp clone for $250, it is nearly pointless to rebuild the stock engine unless you can't fab mounts and such. With a $50 adapter you can use the stock clutch and generator that is $300 roughly total plus any intake/exhaust fab work. Then you can buy mod parts for those all over like cams, carbs, billet rods, whatever. You can do even more with motorcycle engines and such if you want to go that far.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Mine is an older 4 stroke I think its a G 2 I will check when I get home. I cant make some performance mods by canning the exhaust and a bigger carb?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdo2 View Post
Mine is an older 4 stroke I think its a G 2 I will check when I get home. I cant make some performance mods by canning the exhaust and a bigger carb?
Yes you can but if you get 10 percent it will be 1--1.1/2
horse power.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

do you reccomend replacing the engine? If so what is a good one to use? Limited budget to work with. Thanks for the help too!!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

what engine replacement to you reccomend. dont care that much about a lot of speed. Just looking for a lift kit bigger wheels and power enough to turn the wheels maybe around 15 to 20 mph
Old 10-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

where do you find all this stuff?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Unless you can find it cheaper, cart parts plus has the adapter and home depot has the $250 15hp (16hp everyone else calls it). If you use the stock clutch and generator you don't need the engine to charge the battery (those are more expensive). You have to fabricate engine mount and plumbing, see my 'clone specs' thread here in yamaha gas I took photos. Also look at other clone threads and TheNewGuy's jeep he put one in. He kept the aircleaner and muffler, but they would not fit my G9...and I wanted more flow anyway. They run about the same speed as a stock cart around 30mph gps on a G9 with 22 tires, but they get there way faster, lot more power at lower speeds, will spin the tires up hills. You can also mod them with cams and all that. I'm going to put another one in my cart trying to find out what mild cam will work best to get a little more rpm so I can top 35mph or something, without losing the bottom end torque. This 15/16hp clone is a bored and stroked 13hp honda copy. The 13hp works too, but not going to have the bottom end this does. My 16hp came from carolstream they sell direct or on ebay, or on their site. They are Lifan engines from china that copied honda more or less. Harbor freight sells the smaller ones everyone uses the 6.5 in gokarts and minibikes, and now you see them in generators/etc in the stores.

Otherwise you are looking at maybe $1K to get in to a V-twin, they are great but you pay. Or you can go with an engine from something else like an ATV/MC/etc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

your the best and thanks a ton!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha