lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Drifter
Not Yet Wild

Default Best and Worst years?

What is the best years or series of Yamaha carts and are there years or engines to avoid?
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
kaublr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Best and Worst years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
What is the best years or series of Yamaha carts and are there years or engines to avoid?
I have owned 9 Yamaha carts and the most dependable were 79-81 G-1 series 2 cycle carts. Stay away from any thing that is 1982 engine. I still have a 1980 G-1 that was used on a golf course before I got it and has only regular maintenance for the last 26 years and runs and looks good. The secret to long life and dependability is leave them as they were made in the factory, those engineers from Yamaha were very smart
kaublr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Marathon Man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was gonna say 1982 g1 as the worst I own one found an 84 motor to swap in because u can't get parts for the special 82 motor
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yeah that motor was an oddball. Yamaha has some of the best carts IMO, depending on what you are looking for in a cart. The wiring always goes bad at some point it get bad connections especially grounds. Solenoids go bad on G1s they are so old crank seals and stuff go out now too, mufflers get plugged from short trip running. Certainly the tank of carts, and pretty fast in good running condition. G2/9 are rock solid 4 stroke carts, same wiring issues with age, don't like to fit over 23s in rear. Both those carts have a two point cradle so they are more stable but bumpy on offroad rough stuff. Newer yami pretty good too not sure on the drive yet.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The best feature of a Yamaha cart (regardless of the variant and model year) is the steering. Very soft like you are driving a "power-steering car". Compare that with a Par Car HD/Columbia! It is also its weakness because you have to take care of the king pins like greasing them every now and then; replacing the king pin bushings (upper and lower which are not cheap nor easy to do) when worn. Everything else equal, the Yamahas can outrun 2-cylinder EZGOs (at least mine can).
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha