lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
rbahri5206
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha g1 still jerks on start

I posted in another thread how my cart jerks or jumps on start and was wondering I there was a fix for that I was told to lube the clutch which I did today but it still jumps really bad when you go to takeoff I was wondering what elese I could check or how to leave it just idle I wanna make this a street cart and it kind of sucks at traffic lights
rbahri5206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha g1 still jerks on start

It depends, you could have a clutch that is grabbing hard or it could be how the carb is setup. Can your cart start and idle and not move, then you gas it more and it jumps? If so its a clutch issue possibly motor mount/etc. If it jumps the moment the engine starts and can't idle and not move, then it may be throttle related. The old original square aluminum looking G1 clutch did not take off as smooth as newer yamaha clutches, and could be very worn by now, but they don't jerk that much when working properly.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
rbahri5206
Not Yet Wild

No everytime I let off the gas it turns off and then when I go it starts up as far as I know it's not supposed to idle am I correct
Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It should idle and not move the cart with your foot slightly on the gas pedal and primary clutch engages as the motor revs up off idle. A worn primary clutch needs higher engine rpms before it will engage causing the cart to jump. If a performance spring has been installed it will also require higher rpms before engaging.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

A G1 actually should idle once the pedal switch is active, and the cart not move unless the belt is dragging. When you press more then it gets throttle and takes off. Some of the G1 would get tired and the belt would squeal a little and they jerked some and took off. Nobody ever services the clutches either, cleans and lubes them. Note the idle should be really slow and if the engine is out of tune it may not want to idle, then with more throttle it starts and lunges because the throttle is open....not at idle. Or most of the time somebody adjusts the cable way back and the throttle is open when it starts, then they always take off when you push the pedal a little....and they should not.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
rbahri5206
Not Yet Wild

I think that's my problem how do I adjust it Properly because I don't have an idle it's either moving or off nothing in-between
Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
rbahri5206
Not Yet Wild

I also forgot to mention that I added some oil to the rear end and that helped a little but still no idle
Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

download the owners manual at yamahagolfcars.com, the adjustment procedures are in the manual.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Here is the short fast version....

Does the floor come up on G1 I think they do. Turn the key off and adjust he throttle cable at the pedal in floor so you push the pedal and hear the switch click, then the top of the pedal moves about 1", only after that does the carb start to open! There is choke and throttle cable (from governor if still equipped) on top of carb. Once you get the cable set right, block the wheels/etc and start the cart in forward, just touch pedal enough. Set the idle screw at top of carb to get a really slow barely running idle. May have to fiddle with idle mix on side of carb the angled screw, start at 1.5 turn out on that, keep it a little rich it should miss at idle like a chainsaw/etc but keep running that speed. It should idle just faster than the starter. Get that all right and tighten the cable nuts/etc you should be all set. If you get used to it, you can hold your foot just on the pedal and it will idle and not really move depending on belt drag. For speed the cart goes adjust or modify the governor, not the cables. When done the cart should start with a little pedal (the switch), pedal should move at top about 1" before the engine speeds up at all. You can also adjust the brake pedal while you are in there, how the park brake hits, etc.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha