lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
scottp27645
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 EZ-GO PDS up-hill challenges

I have a 2006 EZ-GO PDS lifted cart that has a newly replaced controller and batteries are like new and in great working condition. I have a lot of hills in my neighborhood and the kids always complain that it cuts off when they're on hills. Tonight was the first time it happened to me......i was climbing a large hill in my backyard and it felt as though the cart cut off b/c it was on too large of an incline??? It would go in reverse fine. When I put it back in fwd, you could feel the motor engage and lunge the cart forward 1/4" while trying to pull....when you let off the pedal, it rolled backward slightly. Is there an incline limiter on the ez-go's? After a 1/2 hour or so of being off, it resumes as normal.....very strange.
scottp27645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2006 EZ-GO PDS up-hill challenges

there is no limiter other than the limit a stock controller can push those larger tires.

Larger tires = lower torque
Larger hill = more torque needed to climb

What is happening is that the stall feature of the controller is kicking in to prevent damage to the motor.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
scottp27645
Not Yet Wild

Is there anything I can do to eliminate his feature without causing damage to the cart? Or do I need to switch to a gas engine cart? I don't like the fact that its cutting off with my kids out in the neighborhood.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need a aftermarket controller and motor and cables to do what you are trying to do....
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp27645 View Post
Is there anything I can do to eliminate his feature without causing damage to the cart? Or do I need to switch to a gas engine cart? I don't like the fact that its cutting off with my kids out in the neighborhood.
No, you can't eliminate the feature at all. It is designed into the central programming of the controller to prevent the consumer from sueing the manufacturer when things go horribly wrong and someone gets hurt.

There is no reason to purchase a gas cart, that Elictric cart you have is a torque monster when properly set up. As Scotty has already said, you need a few aftermarket parts which Scotty has available on his site for sale.

Just a heads up before you look at the costs and think "I should just buy a gas cart instead".... Even if you change out to a gas cart, the minute you lift the cart, you lose torque and so would have to purchase aftermarket parts to enable the hill climbing you are attempting. Not only that, but Gas carts are far more costly to maintain than electric carts are.

The biggest expense (recurring) on an electric cart is the batteries. Properly maintained, a quality set should last you on average 5-6 years. I tell all my customers that the smart thing to do is when you get a fresh set, from that day forward, at the start of each month, put a $10 bill in a cookie jar and forget you have it there. By the time you need the next set of batteries, you will have enough $$ in the jar to pay for the batteries, and probably enough left over to enjoy a nice dinner out......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good advice ...... put the $10 in the cookie jar and then go check the water levels !
Old 07-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
scottp27645
Not Yet Wild

So maybe the solution is to purchase a non-lifted cart for the kids to use in the neighborhood.....My local repair facility just replaced my controller w/o giving me the option to upgrade to a higher amp controller, which I was not very happy with.

The cart has the speed chip already put on it.....Would I be better suited to put a torque chip on it instead? I really don't care about the speed, as I don't want them racing and flying through the neighborhood. They are very inexpensive, just not sure if it will help any at all.

Thanks for all the answers, i'm completely new to this, but the kids are enjoying it so far.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Pull the chip out and run in golf mode....
Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
scottp27645
Not Yet Wild

That will increase the torque?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You bet, speed chips reduce torque.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO