lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default G9 Voltage Regulator

Finally got it to run good but the wire from the voltage regulator to the solenoid started smoking and melted all the insulation off the wire!
Does that mean the voltage regulator is bad?
Still runs with the burned up wires but when you let off the pedal it still runs.
Can i buy a new wiring harness? or should i just splice in new wires?
Any help would be great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2377e2803423_436f85c8-16bf-433d-a05b-40ef50068361.jpg (72.5 KB, 9 views)
plk1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 Voltage Regulator

Now that's pretty ugly !! You really need to disconnect the battery and first try to figure out what caused the wire to burn up. I suggest you go to the first sticky above and get a copy of your wiring diagram. For a failure to be that severe, usually involves a dead short. The wire that burned up is normally energized with +12 V. when the main switch is turned on and the accelerator pedal is pressed (stop switch closed). The fact that the cart continues to run shows that the solenoid coil is no longer being controlled through those two switches, but is being energized another way. The G9 wiring shows a 10 A fuse in the positive lead which should have cleared without burning any wires. You better check to make sure someone didn't substitute a wire for that fuse. Good luck, let us know what you find. - RAY

P.S.- After looking further, a failure in the voltage regulator could result in a burned wire because that wire is not fused. Check continuity on the regulator between where the red wire connects and where the black wire connects. A failed regulator would show low or "0" ohms.

Last edited by bigstik40; 09-15-2011 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: add PS
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I found an interesting observation!! The wiring for G16 carts does not include this unfused wire and all the returns are through the 10 A. ground fuse. Looks like the factory fixed a trouble spot !!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

ill try that. can you buy a new wiring harness?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My CD parts list for a G16 does show some wiring harnesses, so something is probably available. Check with some of the site sponsors to see what they can get. If you go to the 12 th "sticky" down at the beginning of the threads, you will find a link to the Yamaha OEM site parts lists. (I tried looking for your G9 but the site is currently having some trouble). You will be able to see all the parts that are available for your cart. It's also a handy reference to see how things are put together if you are doing a repair. I don't think they will be very inexpensive. You might just be better off stringing new wires. You would have to eliminate the voltage regulator connector. Hope this helps - good luck. - RAY
Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

ill look into that once i get around a computer. thanks for the help. thinking of putting in a fuse so it doesnt happen again
Old 09-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

A fuse in that line is a good idea !!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

put a fuse holder in the brown wire. started it and once again wouldnt shut off when the pedal was released. take out the fuse and it works like normal. is the voltage regulator bad? im stumped
Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Have you determined what caused the brown wire to burn up yet ? What have you done so far to correct the burned wiring to the voltage regulator plug so far ?? I think that somewhere the brown wire has burned itself into the solenoid r/w wire causing r/w wire to be hot (+12v.) continuously. Did you get a copy of the wiring from the stickies ?? You should not have the voltage regulator connected until the wiring has been corrected and you are sure the regulator is not bad. Let me know - RAY
Old 09-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

no, replaced it, everything looks like the schmatic. im confused
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha