lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
wilzy14
Not Yet Wild

Default Back Fires

Can anybody help me I have a ezgo gas that backfires out the exhaust and through the Carb while driving and lacking power.Things I have done new carb,adjusted valves and adjusted pedal and buttery fly..Thanks
Its a 1997 and it is a robin engine Thanks
wilzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: Back Fires

what year ,model, and motor would help???
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
wilzy14
Not Yet Wild

Its a 1997 and a robin engine
Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
jeffrun
Gone Wild

sounds like your timing may have slippped, possible cam issue, valves not fully closing, check color of plugs ,will give you idea if firing normal.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
wilzy14
Not Yet Wild

Can the timing be checked with out removing the clutch?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
jeffrun
Gone Wild

There are things you can check without removing clutch,and front timing cover. If you have electrical timing marks, check the timing with a timing light clamped around spark plug wire, timing should be around 15-20 deg. btdc.You should have new spark plugs,gaped .031. Be sure you have new or good spark plug wires. Bring piston to tdc, in firing postion, verify that both valves have clearance mimimum of .004. on each cylinder. Check your compression. reading should be 120 +. If all the above check out, next would be pulsar and ignitor units need to be checked.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
wilzy14
Not Yet Wild

I took timing cover off and timing is right on checked plug gap,160 lbs compression.the slower you can get the engine to idel the more it back fires and you let it die it will only start when you push the pedal over half way down and let it up to just allmost all the way off befores it starts or choke it.I took the plugs back out and they are new and the have black sutt on them.I have adjusted the pedal and carb butterfly and that didnt help. I have no Idea what to do now any Ideas I am game.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO