lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
ross
Not Yet Wild

Pargo

Default 36 volt motor

I Found on here that i lose alot of energy throuh my resistor cart while driving slow to medium speed,but will not allowing the motor recieve the full 36 volt cause it to overheat?? I am trying to slow down this cart but still have full runtime,thought about removing one battery (30 volt) but do not want to damage motor?
thanks
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 volt motor

The solution is a conversion to solid state speed control as all did away with the resistor coil speed control system for the reason you stated. The resistor system draws full battery power no mater what speed you ask for, and it burns off what is not used..... the solid state speed control just sips away at the battery pack amperage, if you push the peddle 10% it delivers only 10% of the amperage.
Dropping a battery out of the pack will not help.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
the solid state speed control just sips away at the battery pack amperage, if you push the peddle 10% it delivers only 10% of the amperage.
Dropping a battery out of the pack will not help.
the solid state controllers use PWM to regulate current. so a 10% throttle input = 100% current but at a 10% duty cycle. switching this high current to regulate speed is what makes partial throttle hard on controllers.

the solution to slowing the cart is to gear down, either by increasing the numbers of turns on motor (ie: higher voltage motor) or by changing gear ratios in the gearbox.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

or,,,, put on smaller tires
rmarcusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
ross
Not Yet Wild

Pargo

thanks guys

i know this was an off the wall question,but just trying to conserve batterry life.
when wife and kid was cruising around the house.
thanks again
ross
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
John89
Not Yet Wild

I have a 89 Marathon and realize the same thing. It doesn't seem like cruising around the neighborhood ( lots of hills ) the cart slows down alot and creeps back home. When I plug it into the charger it is pegged ? Where do you spend the money fresh batteries or controller upgrade ?
John89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by John89 View Post
I have a 89 Marathon and realize the same thing. It doesn't seem like cruising around the neighborhood ( lots of hills ) the cart slows down alot and creeps back home. When I plug it into the charger it is pegged ? Where do you spend the money fresh batteries or controller upgrade ?

Fresh batteries or at least good batteries are a must for any system and even more important for an upgraded system. If you have battery issues and you are thinking about an upgrade, it's batteries First!
That being said...... sometimes fresh batteries are an upgrade like when you are going form 36 to 48 volts
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts