lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
coldlite
Not Yet Wild

Default What size generator will I need to power a 48 volt Ez Go Charger?

I have a customized EZ Go golf cart, lifted with four wheel drive on the fly. I use it at a hunting lease. I am trying to be as respectful of others as possible so I want to buy the smallest/quietest generator I can to use to charge the cart in the evenings.

What size generator do I need to do this?

Thanks.
coldlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: What size generator will I need to power a 48 volt Ez Go Charger?

Hi!
What AC amps does your charger says on it? My 36V charger says 12.5 AC amps.
So at 110V X 12.5 amps= 1375W so I could squeak by with a 1500W continuous rated generator in my example.

We could look at it the other way around where looking at the DC output for example 36(V) X 25(A) = 900W output required, but the charger is not 100% efficient so if I guess 75% charger efficiency then I get 900(W)/ .75(%)=1200W required on the AC side.
I bet it will be a pretty close figure for your 48V charger too.
So check the specs plate on your charger,that will give you an idea!
Barna
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
jakecove1
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Figure out your wattage, and would go with a generac inverter style, or spend a little more for the honda version, super small and lightweight
jakecove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldlite View Post
I have a customized EZ Go golf cart, lifted with four wheel drive on the fly. I use it at a hunting lease. I am trying to be as respectful of others as possible so I want to buy the smallest/quietest generator I can to use to charge the cart in the evenings.

What size generator do I need to do this?

Thanks.
Welcome to BGW!

Any genset with a 15amp 110vac output will do the job. A Honda 2000 watt unit would be perfect, they are VERY quiet.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
coldlite
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. I will check the charger and see what it says. Sounds like everyone agrees it will be about a 1500 to 2000 watt generator.
coldlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldlite View Post
Thanks guys. I will check the charger and see what it says. Sounds like everyone agrees it will be about a 1500 to 2000 watt generator.
I would think at least a 2000. If you are going to have the generator running anyway you will want to run more than just the charger. Hondas are the best but pricey..

I have seen a 2500 at Tractor Supply that is fairly quiet for less than $300
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The Hondas are generally the quietest but when you load them up they can get noisy as well.
I have a Honda 2000 and it will not handle my 13 amp draw inverter/charger on my boat and yet it will run the 15 amp draw for my water heater. The current inrush from a charger first starting out is sometimes too much for the little Honda 2000 to take and may trip the overload.
Depending on your charger it still may work for you but I would try the charger out with the generator before I bought it.
If cost is not the deciding factor and you want one that will work for sure and is about 1/2 as loud as the Honda 2000, look at the Honda 3000.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
The Hondas are generally the quietest but when you load them up they can get noisy as well.
I have a Honda 2000 and it will not handle my 13 amp draw inverter/charger on my boat and yet it will run the 15 amp draw for my water heater. The current inrush from a charger first starting out is sometimes too much for the little Honda 2000 to take and may trip the overload.
Depending on your charger it still may work for you but I would try the charger out with the generator before I bought it.
If cost is not the deciding factor and you want one that will work for sure and is about 1/2 as loud as the Honda 2000, look at the Honda 3000.
A water heater is a purely resistive load (no inrush). A charger is an inductive load, so it gets more complicated (inrush and power factor). If you have the option of trying the charger with the generator, you will need to start it several times, with discharged batteries. Inrush is somewhat dependent on where the AC wave is at the time you hit the switch.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
A water heater is a purely resistive load (no inrush). A charger is an inductive load, so it gets more complicated (inrush and power factor). If you have the option of trying the charger with the generator, you will need to start it several times, with discharged batteries. Inrush is somewhat dependent on where the AC wave is at the time you hit the switch.
I'm not sure you would need discharged batteries as most of the ferroresonant chargers start at full current and scale back quickly if the batteries are charged. The start up is the issue as you already know, not the continuous running.
The generator size and quietness under load is subjective and only the OP would be able to judge it's acceptability.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
I'm not sure you would need discharged batteries as most of the ferroresonant chargers start at full current and scale back quickly if the batteries are charged. The start up is the issue as you already know, not the continuous running.
The generator size and quietness under load is subjective and only the OP would be able to judge it's acceptability.
Again, learned something new.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO