lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
techie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Which 48V OnBoard Charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajflynn View Post
How has this charger worked out?
Seems good. I use it when I am not at the farm or I don't need the cart the next day. If I am at the farm or need the cart the next day then I currently use the powerwise charger for a faster charge. I feel more comfortable with leaving the noco charger on for extended periods of time since it will condition and maintain the batteries better. Better sensing of any decrease of voltage and higher charge stage count.

There are different opinions as to whether a high amp initial charge is necessary if charge speed is not a requirement. I have talked to several electrical engineers and they seem to believe a slow amperage / longer charge time is better for life and output of batteries. Obviously, charge time is a problem with lower amperage. Personally, I like the idea of charging 2 batteries in a bank since this will keep the pack better equalized all things remaining equal.

HOWEVER, It is too early for me to give a confirmed performance statement. Since, I have not been using this system very long.

To be clear, I am new to golf carts.
I say this so people will understand there are a lot more people more knowledgeable than myself in this forum....
Please take my comments as suggestions and not proven golf cart experience.
techie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sweet, I like the disclaimer. I'm still learning too... who'd have thought there was so much to learn about a silly golf cart?
On the subject of high amp initial charging, some say that the high amp input can actually knock sulfate crystals off of the plates....... I have never seen this happen, but it sounds exciting.

Keep us posted on your charging.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
Davemuzz
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie1 View Post

Step 8: 24 Hour
Shuts off, but constantly monitors your battery by providing a gentle charge every 24 hours for maximum battery life.
And aren't we all looking for a "kinder....gentler" battery charge for our cart batteries?
Davemuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemuzz View Post
And aren't we all looking for a "kinder....gentler" battery charge for our cart batteries?
Not if they're Chinese!
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
1. Sweet, I like the disclaimer.

2.I'm still learning too... who'd have thought there was so much to learn about a silly golf cart?

3. On the subject of high amp initial charging, some say that the high amp input can actually knock sulfate crystals off of the plates....... I have never seen this happen, but it sounds exciting.

4. Keep us posted on your charging.
1. Ditto. Now I'll probably have to start including disclaimers in my posts.

2. Ditto. Who'd ever thunk it? Problem is that every time I learn something new, I discover how much more I don't know.

3. I think there is probably some truth in it, just like like there is some truth in allowing the cell voltage to rise higher than normal at the end of a recharge cycle gets rid of some of the sulfation.
However, I believe it is more of a preventive measure than a curative one.

4. Ditto. A Noco Gen3 or Gen4 might be a good answer for people that store their carts unattended for long periods of time.
I'm considering putting their small units on the batteries of a riding mower and a back-up generator and one of their automotive models on a SLS that doesn't get driven much.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #16
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
4. Ditto. A Noco Gen3 or Gen4 might be a good answer for people that store their carts unattended for long periods of time.
I'm considering putting their small units on the batteries of a riding mower and a back-up generator and one of their automotive models on a SLS that doesn't get driven much.
if noco had a 6x8V version thats what would be on my cart. balanced charging is by far the ideal way to charge.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #17
techie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I talked to Noco last week to ask if their charger was able to combine all 4 banks to charge a series 48v pack and I was told no. In the discussion, I explained my perception of one of the biggest problems with charging technology is there is not a charger that will charge a 36v or 48v 6v battery back with a bank going to each battery so the batteries are charged individually. Noco has preliminary plans to make one later 2012. We will see. It would be nice and I would be anxious to see the price considering the amperage that would be needed to charge each battery given the timeframe we want the cart ready to go the next day. I was told by another manufacturer they could produce a 8 bank 6v charger and they price would be around $1000ish but they do not feel there is a market for them. However, if they are successful in doubling or tripling the life of batteries then economically, for the end user, it would make sense.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
techie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have 4 boat batteries that charge overnight. 3 deep cycles and 1 starter which charge overnight and they are ready to go the next day. So in this case, I don't see the problem as long as they distribute the amperage to the battery that might need more charging. Seems the big kicker works around 15-20 amp AC which if you load a circuit that high (other items on the circuit) or use a cheap extension cord, there could be liability problems. In addition, the internal transformer cost (conversion for AC to DC).
Just a thought.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I talked to Noco last week to ask if their charger was able to combine all 4 banks to charge a series 48v pack and I was told no. In the discussion, I explained my perception of one of the biggest problems with charging technology is there is not a charger that will charge a 36v or 48v 6v battery back with a bank going to each battery so the batteries are charged individually. Noco has preliminary plans to make one later 2012. We will see. It would be nice and I would be anxious to see the price considering the amperage that would be needed to charge each battery given the timeframe we want the cart ready to go the next day.
i thought they could handle a series string, hmm... bummer!

Quote:
So in this case, I don't see the problem as long as they distribute the amperage to the battery that might need more charging.
i think they use external isolators for that.

Quote:
Seems the big kicker works around 15-20 amp AC which if you load a circuit that high (other items on the circuit) or use a cheap extension cord, there could be liability problems. In addition, the internal transformer cost (conversion for AC to DC).
Just a thought.
a 220V circuit would lower the current required. switch-mode chargers use much smaller transformers.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #20
techie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
i thought they could handle a series string, hmm... bummer!

i think they use external isolators for that.

a 220V circuit would lower the current required. switch-mode chargers use much smaller transformers.
-sj
Please explain "switch-mode chargers use much smaller transformers"
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO