lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
tedrow13cav
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Installing an 1980 internal starter motor into an 87 marathon

My grandfather and I acquired a 1987 Marathon that was motorless. We began searching for a motor and stumbled upon a 1980 motor with the internal starter and point style ignition. We have the motor mounted into the frame and the guy we got the motor from said we could use our external starter motor if the internal one failed. The thing I am having the most trouble with is trying to figure out how to wire up the 1980 engine up to the 1987 system that was in the cart. Is there anyone that has possibly attempted to do this at one time. The cost of the cart and the motor were both free. I would love to have some help with this. I will post some pictures of it tomorrow and I will get the serial numbers as well.

Travis:help
tedrow13cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Installing an 1980 internal starter motor into an 87 marathon

I believe you might have a 76-79 motor if it has an internal starter and points. The first year of the external starter was 1980. If you need a manual it is located in the ezgo tech section at the top of this forum. Hope this helps.
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
tedrow13cav
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Installing an 1980 internal starter motor into an 87 marathon

Thanks for the help, we got the motor mounted into the cart and began checking out the wiring. We used all the electrical components from the original system of the 87 cart and mounted the external starter generator onto the older motor. The only wire we needed from the old motor was the coil ground wire. We used the original coil for the 87 cart as well. After replacing the clutch and throttle cable the thing runs like a champ.
tedrow13cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO