lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
G-Daddy
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Terminal Corrosion

I have a 1999 fleet car with 2004 batteries. I bought the car in 2005 from a dealer who bought a fleet of cars from a golf course near Annapolis. We take the cart to camp each spring and it is used there near the VA shore all summer, then we bring it home in the fall. Two years ago it had a lot of corrosion on one battery so I pulled and cleaned up all the batteries. There was a lot of corrosion on the battery rack, so I built a new one from 10 ga steel. When I put the batteries back in I put all new 4 ga welding wire cables on it as well. When re-installing the batteries, the one with all the corrosion had a battery terminal break off. I drilled into what was left of the terminal and installed the new cable with a short 3/6" dia sheet metal hex head cap screw. I really grease up the battery terminals and cable ends with petroleum jelly - a trick I learned from years of boating. I still get corrosion from the bad terminal and clean it up several times during the summer. Is there a more permanent fix to this corrosion problem?

I know, I know - the batteries have exceeded their life expectancy. But they still power the cart good and run for miles on a charge. I can leave it unused for a month or more and then run it - the discharge seems minimal since there are no performance problems.
G-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Battery Terminal Corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
You need to remove that terminal from that battery, clean and neutralize the corrosion with baking soda, reattach the terminal, and coat all of the battery terminals with terminal protectant (avaialable at any auto parts store or even Walmart has it). Be sure to utilize proper safety procedures when working around the battery pack.

Is this how you fixed your battery, ?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/batte...nal-repair.php
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
G-Daddy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery Terminal Corrosion

Very similar repair but I keep getting really bad corrosion from the repaired terminal. That was also the initial cause of the first stud breaking off.
G-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO