lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 98 EZGO TXT brake lockup problem

OK guys here we go again with another question I need help on. I just got a 98 EZGO that has a ecomy 4" lift and the brakes lock up when you just barely apply pressure. Have seen this before so I ordered and passager side cable to put on driver side (but its really long) and the steel cable itself seems a little shorter. I have to pull the mounting tab on the backside of the drum all the way to the front of cart to get it hooked up. Can I just hook it up and adjust the slack back out at the pedal. Thanks all.

PS... I have looked on here a read other posts regarding this but just wanted more answers.
hollywood23113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 EZGO TXT brake lockup problem

I cant believe 49 people have looked at this post but no one has replyed. Come on guys what going on??
Old 07-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It could be 49 people with a similar problem looking to see what type of answers you got...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have never had this problem on one of my carts so I speak from reading others experience.... I believe in all cases the initial application of the brakes was causing the axle housing to rotate forward. This rotation was pulling on the brake cable which was applying more brake pressure which was causing more rotation....... you get the idea... Seems to me you need to do 2 things.
One stabilize the rear end.
Two get some slack in the cables.
Hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

There is pretty good info in the service manual in the stickies for stock drum brakes. I'd start there.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not really sure I understand what you are going to adjust. The compensator, under the driver seat, is the only manual adjustment to these brakes. Like Yurtle said, check out the stickies. It seems to me, thinking about my own brake issues, if you pulled the little arm, that the rear of the cable connects to, as far forward as possible, just to hook up the cable, you have locked the brakes up in the process.
Could it be the lift that is installed actually dropped the axle? As in lengthened the distance from the compensator to the drum?
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea I think that is what has happened. This cart came with a economy 4" lift which is just blocks everywhere. I had this problem with a 93 marathon and was told to put a pass. side cable on driver side and it fixed it. So I thought doing the same thing here wopuld fix it but like I said the cable dosen't want to connect without pulling the tab all the way so it defeating the purpose?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe View Post
I'm not really sure I understand what you are going to adjust. The compensator, under the driver seat, is the only manual adjustment to these brakes.
There are several other adjustments, but only one really could affect the problem mentioned. There's a spring that holds tension on the parking brake, which "should" never need adjusting, but after all, this is a 1998 buggy. There's also an adjustment at the pedal, but again, that shouldn't affect his problem.

My 1998 needed new star adjusters, as one of them quit working. I got new stars, but the mechanism that moved them was apparently worn. Luckily, I PMed someone who just install disks, and got the parts I needed, as shopezygo.com didn't sell them.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO