lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Kingpaul
Getting Wild

Default Need help changing F/R switch

1996 EZGO TXT Sepex. It has the shifter behind legs, but does not work. I would like to put a F/R toggle on dash. I think someone on the board did this and posted steps, but cannot find it. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Kingpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help changing F/R switch

A more concise description of you cart would be: 1996 TXT DCS

I didn't do it, but here is the schematic.

The hole left when you pull the DCS type F/R assembly would be a nice place to mount a 12V outlet, if you install a 12V battery to run accessories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - DCS to PDS FR switch.JPG (116.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
dawgn86
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

what is the diameter of that hole?

I have a 12v power port coming in and it needs a 1 and 7/8 diameter hole to mount it.
dawgn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Kingpaul
Getting Wild

Thank you JohnnieB. I have read many of your posts, and have already learned a lot from you!
Dawgn86, thanks for the specs.

Anyone know where I can buy this switch?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It's smaller than 1 7/8.
Drill a 1 7/8 hole through a short piece of 1" or 2' thick scrap wood for a guide and clamp in place along with another piece of scrap wood on the other side of body panel for the centering screw on the bit, or hole saw, to bite into.

That's a trick my daddy taught me when I was about 10, almost 60 years ago, and it has came in handy many times.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

@ Kingpaul: You can get it from one of the site Sponsors or EZGO. It's called a PDS direction selector switch.

Or you could use a generic SPDT center-off switch.

If you cannot salvage the diode off the DCS F/R assembly, you can get one at Radio Shak. A 3A one will work, maybe less amps.

It would be a nice time to get a PDS keyswitch plate and DVM meter from Scotty.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Kingpaul
Getting Wild

JohnnieB, Forgive my ignorance, but will a PDS direction selector switch work on my DCS?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpaul View Post
...................will a PDS direction selector switch work on my DCS?
Yes, if connected as shown in the drawing I posted.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
macrain13
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, I thought I had it all figured out, until I actually tried to install the PDS direction switch. I bought one a couple of weeks ago to install on the dash of DCS cart, mainly because my son rides with me a lot and I have to try to control the F/R cam while wresting with his legs in the way..
But it seemed simple from the diagram and just looking at the existing cam and microswitches, but now I am stuck..
I can not figure the reverse diode. Looking at the cam, there is a microswitch on either side of it. Forward to the driver side and reverse on the other. When the cam is turned to the forward position, only the forward microswitch is engaged. When the cam is turned to the reverse position, the reverse and forward microswitch is engaged.
SO with everything wired in, when the PDS switch is in forward everything works, when it is in neutral or reverse, everything is off.. controller, SOC meter.. its like the key is off. So I am figuring it is the diode you reference eariler...
So what next.. If it is too difficult, I can just rewire back to original, but I figure there is plenty of knowledge in here to direct me onto the right path..
macrain13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Electrically, the only difference between F and R is putting B+ on Pin-4 of the controller, which tells the controller to switch the direction of current flow in the F1&F2 outputs.

The PDS F/R switch connects B+ to the keyswitch when it is in F and only to Pin-4 when it is in R, so a "Steering" diode has to be added to also apply B+ to keyswitch when in R.

The banded end of the diode connects to the PDS F/R switch output terminal with the yellow wire that attaches to keyswitch.

Just add the diode, and you should be good to go.

-----------
Apparently, there are two types of DCS F/R assembiles. One with two separate switches and another with one switch and a diode. (I learned something new. )
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO