lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Are golf cart lug nuts hard to keep tight?

Most of the lug nuts were not torqued very tight on the 1996 TXT I purchased. One wheel had all 4 lug nuts put on backwards. The wheel has minor damage. I used a thread chaser on just the 1/4 inch next to the brake drum on the rear. The threads cleaned up with very little effort. If the wheels are prone to working loose I will replace wheel.
Any thoughts from the forum
Thatsme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Are golf cart lug nuts hard to keep tight?

if the nuts are installed correctly, and properly tightened, you shouldn't have a problem
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks
Thatsme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have a similar problem on my 07 pds. Left rear wheel keeps having the lugs get loose. EZ-Go diamond wheels with new lug nuts. My buddy tends to get a bit crazy with the torque wrench and wondering now if the studs are messed up. Thoughts on some lock tight??
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

kg,
I have one tire that keep getting loose as well. I keep an eye on it and a 4way close by. I noticed it after the grand-kids were riding all day. The rear was knocking, it had me worried for a minute. Thought I had a real issue back there. I have yet to try to fix it, but I need to...
Springlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Thoughts on some lock tight??
that wouldn't be a bad idea.....as long as you only use Loctite 242 (BLUE) its low yield, so it will help them from backing off......but at the same time you can easily remove the lugs with a wrench.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

May try that. The lugs are new and all 4 are getting loose. Just weird. I have a couple of hubs laying around so if it keeps it up I will swap it.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I was wondering, are you the original owner, or did it maybe suffer abuse from a previous owner? Do the threads look good, or are they worn?

I've never tried this on a lug nut, but in the past, I've had good luck placing a thin strand of copper wire inside the nut before installing it. The soft copper deforms readily, but helps take up any slack.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I was wondering, are you the original owner, or did it maybe suffer abuse from a previous owner? Do the threads look good, or are they worn?

I've never tried this on a lug nut, but in the past, I've had good luck placing a thin strand of copper wire inside the nut before installing it. The soft copper deforms readily, but helps take up any slack.
Original owner ? Good one yurtle Golf course return. threads look good but wouldn't take much to throw it off. Copper wire is an option but think I will try the blue thread lock first. That doesn't work and I will swap the hub with another one I have. If that works I will swap out the studs or maybe go disc

I'm just funny about tightening the lugs. My buddy grabs an impact and just let's it have it. Bad idea. I saw him strip a lug nut on the shaft doing this. Played hell getting it off. Axle shaft maybe, lug nut no.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

never had a problem with either cart of mine
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO