lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 36 or 48

Which would make more torque and speed? A 2 hp 2500 rpm motor that is labeled 36 volt but running on 48 volts or a 3.7 hp 2500 rpm motor labeled 48 volts and running on 48 volts ? I was thinking the 36 volt motor would make more than 2 hp if running it on 48 volts, am I wrong?
stellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 or 48

most likely, the 36v motor running on 48v will run faster (more rpm), but the other will have more torque.....

for if you take a 36v motor and run in on 48v, you will get an increase of roughly 30% of each (torque/speed)

but the 48v motor you have will still have the same speed (2500 rpm) and seeing as how its more powerful to begin with, will most likely make more torque.

so the bottom line is the 36v motor will make the cart faster......

the 48v motor will make it have more torque
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
most likely, the 36v motor running on 48v will run faster (more rpm), but the other will have more torque.....

for if you take a 36v motor and run in on 48v, you will get an increase of roughly 30% of each (torque/speed)

but the 48v motor you have will still have the same speed (2500 rpm) and seeing as how its more powerful to begin with, will most likely make more torque.

so the bottom line is the 36v motor will make the cart faster......

the 48v motor will make it have more torque
If the cart has oversized tires or high speed gears, the motor that generates the highest torque at high RPM will be faster.

These are sepex motors, so 2500RPM is about 1/3 of what the motors can spin at with stock height tires and gears.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Stock gears with a limited slip kit and an Alltrax 400 & big cables. Only running 20" tires and eight 6 volt batteries
Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellix View Post
Stock gears with a limited slip kit and an Alltrax 400 & big cables. Only running 20" tires and eight 6 volt batteries
20" tire is a 10% torque loss, so the 48V motor might be a little faster.
If the tires are high floatation type (low pressure), it might be a little more.

Mathematically, you can get about 36MPH @ 7500RPM, but I'd keep it down to 6500RPM 31MPH).
Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It will go about 27 mph now with the 36 volt motor. I do notice the motor getting a little hot after some long runs or hills. I wonder if the extra torque from the 48 volt motor will help it run cooler?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well he never said he was talking SEPEX motors........that's a horse of a different color!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea, it's a PDS cart. Since I'm not using the speed sensor on the motor do I need to even install it in my new motor? Should I put it in just to keep dirt and water out?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
It will go about 27 mph now with the 36 volt motor. I do notice the motor getting a little hot after some long runs or hills. I wonder if the extra torque from the 48 volt motor will help it run cooler?
How hot is "a little hot"?
The case temp for motors with Class H insulation on the windings, should stay below about 115°C (239°F), which is above the boiling point of water and too hot to touch.

When Amps pass through a motor, the electrical energy they carry is converted to either motion or heat and if the RPM the motor is spinning at is less than what is dictated by the voltage applied, more of the energy is being converted to heat.

More torque means more amps are passing through the motor at a given RPM and more amps means more heat, but more torque also means the motor will spin faster with the same mechanical drag, so it will be more efficient and generate less heat.

Without a complete Torque vs Amps vs Volts curve for each motor and the mechanical drag numbers for your cart, it is only a guess, but my guess is that both motors will run at about the same temperatures since there really isn't all that much difference between them.

Quote:
Yea, it's a PDS cart. Since I'm not using the speed sensor on the motor do I need to even install it in my new motor? Should I put it in just to keep dirt and water out?
Use it as a plug to keep the dirt out.
I haven't done it yet, but I'm kicking around the idea to use it to feed a tachometer. It puts out 8 pulses every time the motor shaft makes a complete revolution.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO