lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
carrera911
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ-GO WorkHorse Problems

First post on here so here it goes. My neighbors gave us a old club car that sat for 4 years and wouldn't get a spark. I searched around and if it wasn't for this site, I couldn't have gotten it working. But now that it runs I've ironically been having problems with our late 90s workhorse. It runs fine once it gets going after pumping the gas for 10 minutes and using some starting fluid. This along with gas coming out backwards into the air box led me to believe that it wasn't a dirty carb. I did a compression test and got 31 psi on one side and 75 on the other (I've never tested something with two spark plugs so not sure if I did it right or not). If I did do this right then I know this is extremely low compression. What I don't know is how it got that way. It was originally used on Turner Field and my dad bought it from a friend he had there. We've had it since and it only has 280 hours. Last year I adjusted the governor but I don't know how this could have hurt it since it has a rev limiter. I've only really worked on the mechanicals of a 2 stroke dirtbike engine and never a four stroke. So I guess my main question is what will a rebuild cost if its done by a local shop?

Sorry about the long post but any help is appreciated.
carrera911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO WorkHorse Problems

Adjust the valve clearance and retest.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What he said. It also sounds like a dirty carb with possible sticking float. And the fuel pump may be going bad. Should be a check valve of sorts that keeps fuel from flowing back into the tank when it sits..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
carrera911
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Adjust the valve clearance and retest.
I've never really gotten into timing and valves (one of the reasons I prefer 2 strokes). What do you you think a fair price would be for a shop do this or maybe a rebuild?
Old 06-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Even for a novice, adjusting the valves shouldn't take more than an hour tops. Go for it. We will help !!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
carrera911
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you all approve of this article?
buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-gas-tech/1196-ezgo-295-350-engine-valve-adjustment.html
One thing this article isn't clear on is does the position of the piston matter?
(I had to remove the www because I can't post links until a week after I joined this site)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When he mentions the cam lobe being down, that's the part you're worried about. Piston at top dead center will have both valves for that piston closed. As long as it's on the flat, you should be god to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera911 View Post
Do you all approve of this article?
buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-gas-tech/1196-ezgo-295-350-engine-valve-adjustment.html
One thing this article isn't clear on is does the position of the piston matter?
(I had to remove the www because I can't post links until a week after I joined this site)
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Or just make sure the lobe is pointing away from the rocker.

Tags
ezgo, workhorse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO