lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2021, 10:33 PM   #1
RichM
Not Yet Wild

Default '11 Yahaha YRDEX Not Running

I have a '11 Yamaha YRDEX. First of all, is that a G29? Its a 48V I bought used, and added lift, tires, and other mods. So it stopped driving a couple times on short trips. We pushed/ pulled it a couple time w and W/O switching the tow switch. The batteries were low, but the solenoid seemed guilty. When solenoid is activated, the power comes on strong at 48V, then slowly drops in about a minute to like 25V. I replaced the solenoid, same issues. Thought is was the controller, bought new and installed, same issues. I bought Lithium batteries today and there is 53V and same issues. Key switch is working. Tow switch seems to be fine. All 3 wires at the throttle plug are about 3.5V with no change when depressed. No motor wires show any voltage when throttle depresses or not. Bypassed the solenoid hot wire to post B on solenoid- no change.
Any ideas? Thanks!
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
RichM
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '11 Yahaha YRDEX Not Running

I got it fixed, thought I would do everyone a solid and post what happened because this could ruin some ones cart life... The new lithium batteries were pumping 53.7 volts out like a champ on a 48V system. Key on, run mode on (tow mode off) 53V on IN side post of solenoid, 46 on the out post to the controller for a split second followed by voltage drop. (hind sight- the original battery system would have been fine if proven functional but now I'm upgraded) Even a bypass on the solenoid directly, no worky... I isolated the solenoid by removing the power OUT side to the controller eliminating the controller manipulating the voltage drop theory I had. The problem was then determined from the solenoid backwards. I removed the floor skins- pulled the automotive style fasteners- looks that up (google?) so not to damage existing fasteners... There are 2 pedals and thus 2 switches sending voltage/ signal to work with the brain. My brake pedal sensor was missing 1 of the 2 screws and not allowing good contact to be made. The bolt had rattled out and the other one was stripped, perhaps this road had been traveled before by the golf course that previously owned the cart. So, the stripped screw would not come out for sizing, I took a shot in the dark and won! #10-32 x 1"... BOOM! she fit great! The instant it was properly positioned, I heard a click and knew. Cart is on a lift and I tested it out, works great! I will try to add some pictures here, I am pointing at the missing screw with and Allen wrench in pic 2. Good luck with your project!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (198.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (195.5 KB, 0 views)
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:33 AM   #3
Half Vast
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Nice bit of troubleshooting there! Thanks for following up. Will likely help someone else with a similar issue.
Half Vast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That switch is a pretty well known failure point (the switch itself), but not the screws. Someone replaced it in the past & didnt tighten properly. That switch goes back to the days of G14 (mid 1990s).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha