lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Installing an "add-a-leaf" spring set

I am attempting to install an add-a-leaf spring set on my '89 Club Car. I originally tagged on to the "installing a heavy duty spring set on..." thread (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...lub-car-3.html) but figured it would get lost there so I started this thread to get help and perhaps help others in the future.

Here is some of the end of the thread:

Wooley15
- Just installed the add a leaf in the rear and pretty happy with the results. I get about 1 to 1.5" less "squat" with two adults back there now. I'll let you know how the ride is...but it doesn't seem like it's going to be affected much.

RudeJoe- wooly- on the add-a-leaf install... they came with a couple bolts and nuts. The bolts have a round top- not hex for wrench or slots or allen hex. I assume I need to put them through the center hole on both the add-a-leaf and the installed single leaf. But how to tighten? Vise Grips? I haven't taken my cart apart yet, perhaps I see it then? Thanks!
RudeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Installing an "add-a-leaf" spring set

continued recap:

Wooley15- The head of bolt went up in the hole that's on the existing bracket on the frame. The weight of the cart seemed to hold it enough to tighten the nut down.

RudeJoe- Thanks for your prompt response. While I have you here... Was it hard to get the original bolt loosened?

I've loosened the u-bolts and am currently wondering what to do next? It looks like I need to raise the whole cart, take the wheel off, then block up the engine assembly and lower the body to make room to get the leaf in there. Sound right? Thanks!

Oh, and, did you need to cut down the bolts that came with the add-a-leaf? They seem really long since they need to stop before hitting the axle.

Okay, so I jacked the cart up and then put a block under the transmission and then lowered the jack. A 3/8" gap opened up between the spring and axle, just enough to get a wrench on the locating bolt nut. It seems to be 12mm (this cart is an '89) not 7/16" or 1/2". But I can't seem to get it turning. Must be rusted up. I'm afraid the bolt's going to start turning.

It almost seems like I need to remove the rear leaf spring bolt or even the whole leaf spring to get some additional room in there. Advice? I was hoping this would be a really easy add.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

I removed the rear bolt on the leaf spring and it didn't really open up much more room. It really seems like I need to take the leaf spring off completely in order to: 1.) get the locating bolt off and 2.) get the add-a-leaf leaf on and bolted together.

Since its Sunday eve I put it all back together for now. It'll be a couple weeks before I have some time to get back on it. Wooley15- hopefully you came over from the other thread and can offer some additional advice.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
wooly15
Gone Wild

What I did was while the cart was on blocks, I took the shocks off, and had a buddy push down on the axle. That gave me JUST enough clearance to get that new bolt through without having to cut it. I had read somewhere where most went ahead and cut that bolt, but I got away without having to.
I did take the entire leaf springs out...had to in order to get that stock bolt out to replace with the new.
wooly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
wooly15
Gone Wild

Hopefully you have a second set of hands to help out to get your springs lined back up with that front bracket. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

I assume yours was the same but on my cart that locating leaf bolt faces up (the nut is on top). It doesn't seem like there would be enough room between the bracket and the axles for the full length of the bolt to fit. Did you put your bolt in the other way so the nut is on the bottom? I guess I'll see it when I get there.

So the springs in the front bracket is difficult? I removed the rear only and had to use a crow bar to get it back down so I could get the bolt back in.

Was the brake line in the way of getting the spring out? Or were you able to pull the spring out the back of the cart?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
wooly15
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeJoe View Post
I assume yours was the same but on my cart that locating leaf bolt faces up (the nut is on top). It doesn't seem like there would be enough room between the bracket and the axles for the full length of the bolt to fit. Did you put your bolt in the other way so the nut is on the bottom? I guess I'll see it when I get there.

So the springs in the front bracket is difficult? I removed the rear only and had to use a crow bar to get it back down so I could get the bolt back in.

Was the brake line in the way of getting the spring out? Or were you able to pull the spring out the back of the cart?

Thanks
My stock setup had the nut on the bottom so that's the way I put the new one back on...not sure if that's right or not, but it worked. There was no way to get that long bolt in there without removing the whole leaf spring...that's why I pulled it all the way out. Once the bolts were out of both ends of the leafs, I just rotated them perpendicular to the cart, and they wiggled right on out. The brake lines werent in the way at all, but
I did have to work it around to get them to come out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car