lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
1badburb
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas Club Car Fuel Issue

Ok, Long time listener, first time caller...

I rebuilt/reconditioned a 1991 Gas Club Car for a friend of mine and used this site heavily as a source of information and it was great. I am still having an issue with the cart running though and it seems as though I have a fuel delivery problem. Here's what I did:

Cleaned the Cylinder and Intake/Exhaust Valves
Replaced all the Gaskets on the top of the motor, including Carburetor
Flushed out the Carb with Carb cleaner in all the ports
Replaced all the fuel line and fuel filters
Cleaned out the Fuel Pump Vacuum line
Cleared the Fuel Vent line
Verified that the fuel pickup line is installed correctly
Filled with New Clean fuel
Set the governor up per instructions found in the service manual

What its doing:
When I first completed it and started it up it ran like a champ, smooth and strong. On start up it would smoke some which I attributed to over filling it with oil since it is lifted and it was right at the top of the dipstick. It will run for about 10 min with no problem and then just sputter out and die. When this happens there is no fuel in the filters at all. When I noticed this I assumed it wasn't self-priming and I tediously filled the lines and filters with gas. After doing this, the cart started up immediately and ran strong for about an hour and a half of start and stop. Never once hesitating. After that, it died. No fuel in the filters again. When I pour fuel directly in the hose and slightly blew on it to apply some pressure, it starts right up.

I am thinking it is a problem with the carb somehow but am not too familiar with what to check on it that would cause a problem like this.

Thoughts?

Also, here http://s1021.photobucket.com/albums/...20Restoration/ is the link to the Before/During/After photo's of the cart. It is used out on a ranch as a hunting buggy. My buddy and I did all the work including fabbing up the front rack. We did the whole project for about $500.
1badburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Gas Club Car Fuel Issue

I've heard that a blocked breather in the fuel filler cap can cause this type of problem. It creates a vacuum in the tank after running for a while and the pulse pump can't overcome it. Other than the pump itself, you seem to have covered your bases pretty well but it's odd that a bad pump would allow you to run for an hour or more. Perhaps leave the cap loose when you next take her for a run or loosen it after you test to see if there is indeed a vacuum at the tank.
Sorry I can't be more more helpful.

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Pulling air at a fitting??
Then maybe fuel pump.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...fuel-pump.html
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
1badburb
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to mention that during this whole diagnosis I replaced the fuel pump so its brand new.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't overlook the fuel pickup tube inside the tank. Pull it out and make sure it is clear while you're looking at the fuel cap, look for holes,pinched areas etc... then reinstall firmly back into the fitting. The fitting threads into the tank.

Jason
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
dirtmanmartin
Getting Wild

Club Car

Had this exact same problem with my 1984 gas Club Car with 341cc KF-82 engine. I noticed the fuel issue and also constant black soot deposits on spark plug. Mechanic found that the vent tube was clogged. New vent tube and ran fine. Also...nice cart. Fixed mine up for hunting as well. See picture.
dirtmanmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badburb View Post
Ok, Long time listener, first time caller...

"The Mr. Obvious Show" on Bob and Tom! I listen every morning!

Sorry for the hijack... carry on!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
kenr44
Not Yet Wild

Check the pulse hose from the engine to the pump for oil in it. Since you over filled it with oil it probly has oil in it. That will stop the pump from functoining properly
kenr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

How thoroughly did you go over the carb? Did you tear into it take every jet out and run a wire through all holes? Did you use a compressor to blow through every hole? If not you may want to take the carb back off and go over it again, you really have to be thorough with them and if you did just an average job that will not work...............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
1badburb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
How thoroughly did you go over the carb? Did you tear into it take every jet out and run a wire through all holes? Did you use a compressor to blow through every hole? If not you may want to take the carb back off and go over it again, you really have to be thorough with them and if you did just an average job that will not work...............................
That is my next move, it was definitely just an average job. I didn't want to damage any of the seals with compressed air since i didn't have replacements. I am going to try and find a carb rebuild kit with new seals and needle/seat etc and go through it again. Everything looked good on the initial remove and clean though. My only hesitation with this is that when it is running it is a smooth as can be. My only thought is that something in the carb is causing a restriction in fuel flow that the pump can't overcome.

Also, I removed some oil from the pulse hose, but it may need it again...

Tags
carburetor, fuel pump
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car