lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
bnm2580
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 97 club car running hot

Hey guys, new to the forum and new to club car. I bout a 97 CC at a garage sale over the weekend and im having a few issues with it. I got it home and cleaned out alot of debris from the gas tank and drained out the old gas. I soaked the carburetor over night and put in a new spark plug. The cart fires right up and runs good until (problem 1): if I am on level ground or going up hill everything is fine but if I go downhill it sounds like it revs to high and starts backfiring. Could this be related to a very loose worn out belt?

My 2nd problem is after running for 10 or 15 minutes the engine will cut out like it has lost fuel and will just limp along at a very slow ideal. I can pump the choke and it will spit and sputter and act like it wants to catch back up but continues to do the same thing. When I lift the seat to expose the engine you can feel the heat pouring out. Everything is extremely hot to touch. What steps should i begin to take to get this cart running well.

Thanks for the help!!!
bnm2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: 97 club car running hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm2580 View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum and new to club car. I bout a 97 CC at a garage sale over the weekend and im having a few issues with it. I got it home and cleaned out alot of debris from the gas tank and drained out the old gas. I soaked the carburetor over night and put in a new spark plug. The cart fires right up and runs good until (problem 1): if I am on level ground or going up hill everything is fine but if I go downhill it sounds like it revs to high and starts backfiring. Could this be related to a very loose worn out belt?

My 2nd problem is after running for 10 or 15 minutes the engine will cut out like it has lost fuel and will just limp along at a very slow ideal. I can pump the choke and it will spit and sputter and act like it wants to catch back up but continues to do the same thing. When I lift the seat to expose the engine you can feel the heat pouring out. Everything is extremely hot to touch. What steps should i begin to take to get this cart running well.

Thanks for the help!!!
Running fast downhill maybe due to a removed axle governor and or rpm limiter. The backfiring could be caused by the throttle butterfly not returning to closed when the gas pedal is released which allows fuel to enter the exhaust which will then cause your issue when yo open up again. The cutting out issue after 10 minutes or so might point to a bad igniter coil. Check for a spark immediately this occurs. Getting hot; It's hard to tell how hot is hot but these motors do run at high temps however, you might want to pull the fan shroud off and check for leaves, grass etc.
Hope that helps,

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
bnm2580
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 97 club car running hot

Thanks for the help FC. If I get off in time today I am going to check those things out for sure.
bnm2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car