lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
bdtprez
Not Yet Wild

Default 2014 Precedent change starter belt

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to access the starter / generator bolts on a 2014 Precedent to change the belt? I can sort of get to it through the rear access panel but it seems it would be best through the top panel behind the seat, however, i cannot see a way to remove it!
Thanks!
bdtprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2014 Precedent change starter belt

You need to loosen the two bolts on the front mounting bracket (behind the exhaust pipe).
Just loosen them slightly, do not remove them.
Then go through the rear access panel and loosen the adjuster lock nut a few turns.
Push down on the starter and it should rotate down so you can remove the belt.
Install the new belt, use a prybar to push the starter Up with quite a bit of force (the belt needs to be very Tight) while tightening the adjuster lock nut.
Then tighten the two bolts on the front, and test.
It's not nearly as much fun on the Precedent, especially if you have a rear seat. It takes some patience, but once you figure it out it's not difficult to do.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #3
bdtprez
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much! Yes, it did have a rear seat and a bag holder! After realizing that there was no access panel from above, it took the leap and removed the rear seat making access much easier. I do have the 3 starter bolts loosened now, the starter still isnt moving down to let me loosen the belt so i sprayed everywhere metal touches with wd-40 and ill try again later.
bdtprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Might have to give it some persuasion. Usually you can grab the belt from the front and pull on that and it helps pull it down.

The adjuster bolt is a carriage style bolt with a square under the flange. I've seen before where those were tightened incorrectly and the square bit into the metal adjuster bracket, so it wouldn't slide in the bracket. That was fixed by removing the bolt and just using a file to knock down the edges on the bracket, then reinstalling properly before tightening it.

The adjuster bracket is tough to move, and should be by design (not a great design IMO but no good way to change it due to clearance issue), so don't expect to be able to easily move that by hand.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car