lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha Stop Switch Repair

After seeing numerous posts about Yamaha's not starting, I figured that I would document an easy repair to a VERY common problem. The Yamaha stop switches are known to fail often, and this simple fix can potentially save you $50-$80.

If you are having intermittent starting problems when you step on the gas pedal this is most likely your problem. Meaning, you have to push the gas pedal a few times in order to get a proper contact. The stop switch pictured should be the same of both gas and electric, and ranging from G11 to G29 (Drive) models.

** It is advised to have the key turned off and the cart in neutral during this repair **

Remove plastic floor mat rivets with a flat headed screw driver, and pull back the mat to expose the floor plate.

Once floor plate is removed, you will see the stop switch located at the pedals. Switch is secured by two Phillips screws. Unplug the switch, and remove screws. (You will also need to open up the wiring harness retaining clip.

With backing plate facing upwards, carefully remove the four small Phillips screws. Keeping in mind that there is a spring with ball bearing behind the backing plate.

Once apart, clean the rocker plate with electrical contact cleaner. Paying particular attention to the contact area on the underside.

Now grab the other half of the switch and turn it upside down in the palm of your hand carefully, as not to drop the ball bearing or spring and lose them.

Once removed, take the spring and slightly stretch it. This will put more force on the rocker switch, and assure a better contact. You don't need to stretch it much.....probably 2-3mm. Note in the pictures above that the spring is barely seen under the ball bearing. Once stretched slightly, the spring should sit a higher in its mounting hole.

Re-assemble the switch and test prior to re-installing.

Plug the switch in and with the cart in NEAUTRAL, hold the plunger in and turn on the key. When plunger is released, your cart should turn over. Check this operation a few times prior to installation.

Be sure to turn ignition key to the off position again prior to installation. When re-installing the switch, it is helpful to push the gas pedal down to align the bolts.

You just saved yourself $50-$80 ........ Now go buy yourself a cold beer, and some other custom accessories
Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Stop Switch Repair

good idea, even if it turns out to be only a temporary fix... and while you are enjoying that beer, take a vacuum to that pedal area, you trying to start your very own forest in there? i have taken apart some of those, some have contact damage, but if you find that its still in salvageable condition- $68 in your pocket .
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ya she gets a little neglected under there.

I have done two of these switches now and have had zero issues so far (knock on wood)
Old 05-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
dbmachine
Gone Wild

So have I. I had 2 fail as well. 70$ shipped cuts into the beverage fund
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
joemrx08
Not Yet Wild

My cart just died. Wonder if symptoms are the same? I made a turn and and pushed pedal normally. Cart went forward a 20 or 30 feet and immediately lurched faster than normal. Eased off pedal and made another turn after stop sign and when gave some pedal nothing. Tried putting it in Tow, etc and nothing. Is this similar to what this stop switch could do?
joemrx08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemrx08 View Post
My cart just died. Wonder if symptoms are the same? I made a turn and and pushed pedal normally. Cart went forward a 20 or 30 feet and immediately lurched faster than normal. Eased off pedal and made another turn after stop sign and when gave some pedal nothing. Tried putting it in Tow, etc and nothing. Is this similar to what this stop switch could do?
Definitely worth looking into, and won't cost you a dime.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
xman67
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Cheesy, thanks for posting this. It looks easy enough to do and I am having an intermittent starting problem- may as well start with the easy cheap stuff first
xman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

No problem sir! Glad to share! Hopefully that's your issue, as it's a quick simple, and cheap fix!

Edit.... Should state.... my cart has still not had an issue since time of posting this thread
Old 02-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Why do we have this switch?
Would it be easier to bypass it, if it keeps failing?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #10
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
Why do we have this switch?
Would it be easier to bypass it, if it keeps failing?
Without it, your cart would be at idle as soon as key is turned on. Some people here have bypassed their switch. To me, that defeats the purpose of owning a golf cart, as it was designed for the continuous stop and go.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha