lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
HBR
Gone Wild

Default 1997+ Club Car / Clone - installing high speed gears

I am about to buy a 1997 Club Car with a blown motor. I am wanting to put a clone in it and would like to avoid using a jack shaft.

From what I have read, forward is around 11.8:1 and reverse is around 17.1:1.

I was planning on installing high speed gears. With reverse now being my forward, what would be the final gearing with 8:1 and 6:1 gears?

Thanks
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 1997+ Club Car / Clone - installing high speed gears

Roughly since I don't know the internal gearing, if the stock reverse ratio is about 50% higher than the forward gear the 8:1 would do the same (11+50%(5.5)=roughly 17), so 8+4=12. That would be close to stock gearing which should get you in 30s with 22 tires and no governor. 6+3=9 which would be higher gear than typical stock cart seems like same setup would get you 40s top speed? I'm not a big CC nut but I think that is right since nobody else is here at the moment.

My yamaha is on 22s and about 11:1 final ratio including the overdrive cvt (trans alone is ~13:1 and cvt is .9:1 OD) and it runs about 30mph gps at about 4500 max on ungoverned stock or clone with no mods valve floating. I have hit 38mph gps with hd springs and other mods but stock block with rpm over 5K. Its about all I can do with a stock block I need a rod for more rpm. However the power is way more fun I rarely wind it up and rarely run roads fast. Its more of a measuring point and its also screaming at full rpm lol, I dont have any need to break it just for that. Even a stock clone will get up to the same 30mph in about 1/3 the distance as the stock G9 would, just because it runs the same rpm but much more power.

There are a lot of threads here about CC and gears and different ways to set them up, if you can find them. You may also end up changing the clutch or clutches, or some get the secondary machined to run a 1 3/16 belt and new primary.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
HBR
Gone Wild

Thanks for the help. I just couldnt get my brain around the gearing and your explanation cleared that up. My kids CC has an 8:1 gearing and it is nice. With stock tires it will cruise along at 22mph at around 3000 rpm. It struggles a little bit on hills though. 9:1 would probably be perfect for me.

I was supposed to meet the seller Sunday morning. He said he was busy all day Saturday and couldnt meet. I text him Saturday night to confirm plans and find out he sold it earlier in the day. I dont get it.

Anyway, at least I know the '97+ carts will work for me now. Previously I had been looking for '92-'96 carts and there sure arent many of those.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBR View Post
Thanks for the help. I just couldnt get my brain around the gearing and your explanation cleared that up. My kids CC has an 8:1 gearing and it is nice. With stock tires it will cruise along at 22mph at around 3000 rpm. It struggles a little bit on hills though. 9:1 would probably be perfect for me.

I was supposed to meet the seller Sunday morning. He said he was busy all day Saturday and couldnt meet. I text him Saturday night to confirm plans and find out he sold it earlier in the day. I dont get it.

Anyway, at least I know the '97+ carts will work for me now. Previously I had been looking for '92-'96 carts and there sure arent many of those.

Thanks again for your help.
Such is Craigslist, I've learned with the really good deals You need to jump NOW or something usually "happens" to the deal, people just aren't as honest or reliable as they used to be ...

Clones w HS gears can be real screamers, I built a VC460 Ezgo with 8:1's that pulled 40+ with no problems on 23's, I threw a 28 degree driven clutch in that build too and it had zero problems with hills, etc either (other than traction, it liked to spin 'em before it would bog down LOL) - I would maybe look towards a Yamaha or EZGO to build though, there are a lot of clean G14's out there with bad motors lately (those old 301's are finally starting to let go right and left and are generally cost-prohibitive to repair, especially given what they are) OR if You find an early (IE late 90's) TXT at the right price that runs, it's generally *very* easy to recoup a good $400 or more on a running 295 with clutch and exhaust which eases the pain of the Big Block conversion .... Just my opinion though, Your mileage may Vary
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
HBR
Gone Wild

Well I am doing a Yamaha clone cart now. Saw a 2009 G29 on facebook one day and picked it up the next day. All the plastics were in rough shape and the engine was in 3 boxes. Very little rust on the frame though. The fluid in the rear end was dirty, but I assume (and hope) that is mostly due to the internal brake. I didn't see any large particles in the bottom of the container after I poured off the fluid. I will know for certain once I pull the rear end apart.

Then I remembered I saw an electric G29 parts cart on CL. The ad was over a month old but I gave it a shot. Brought that cart home for $80. The plastics were in great shape. So between the two carts I should be able to build something pretty nice.

I'm still leaning towards 8:1 gears for the stock tires so I don't have to scream the engine to get it into the low 20's. So far that set-up is still working well in the Club Car with the CPP machined clutch.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I had family with an old 93 CC I think, I put HS gears in that and it hit 28gps mph hitting the rev limit. It had that old flathead motor with the limiter in it. It was completely stock other than gears and me adjusting the governor up.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
HBR
Gone Wild

Slight change of plans, I am putting a unitized Kawasaki rear end in the G29.

Got the welding done today:

In the next couple of days I should be able to get the 8:1 gears installed and see if my new forward gearing works out to be about 9:1.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

So your putting a cc rear in the g29?
That's a cw rear cc?
Why though?
What all parts you have left from the cc & g29s?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #9
HBR
Gone Wild

Yep, a club car CW rear end in a G29.

It will allow me to face the clone engine forward for easier access to the valves and carb.

And hopefully the 8:1 gears will give me a 9:1 ratio when I am using reverse as my forward. The 8:1 gears in my kids club car are great for low rpm cruising in the mid 20's but the engine struggles a little more than I would like on some of the steeper hills in town.

And I also did it because it wasnt easy.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #10
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

I thought it gave more of a 12-1 with 8-1 gears going in reverse.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps