lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2020, 11:06 PM   #1
sockeye342
Not Yet Wild

Default Zeva BMS Not Working

Hi Everyone-

So I bought the Zeva BMS and monitor and went through the installation process today after many emails to Ian and input from Sergio and others on this forum.

I went to power up the BMS a few hours ago and nothing happened?

I have full voltage at the B+ and B- on BMS connector.

I have full voltage on one side of the HV relay I am using but nothing on the other.

I haven't tried hooking up the charger to it yet???

I put together a Youtube video showing my connections and maybe someone who knows what they are doing (taking a shot at myself for my lack of electrical knowledge) can help. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMPEiZloVw

Thank you,

Jeff
sockeye342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Zeva BMS Not Working

Now....I haven't taken the time to do a detail look at your setup from your video.....but just a couple of quick questions:

#1--Can you check with your Multimeter that you have power to the BMS with your key off?

#2--I noticed that when you tried to power up the ZEVA you used your thumbnail. I know that I can't get the ZEVA on\off button to work without using a small tool (small screwdriver.....nail punch...etc) to fully depress the on\off switch. (No need to hammer the switch....I believe there is a definite click to it though).

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
sockeye342
Not Yet Wild

Dave-

I do have power to the BMS with the switch on or off.

I will check the switch with a screwdriver this morning.

Thank you
Jeff
Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'll see if I can offer some help... I'm no guru, but did this build on my CC.

One, I would recommend getting something to cover all the contacts on top of your battery pack. Drop something on top of there and you'll have a spark show at least, if not a worse outcome.

In the video you mentioned that some of the wires were loose in the connector on the BMS. Here is a link to a post in a different thread that shows how you can make sure all of those connections are correct. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...5&postcount=22 That whole thread is great to read through.

Also, I would recommend drawing a little diagram to show us how you have everything wired and connected. Trying to see how it is all connected in a video or pictures is tough. Here is a link to a post in my build thread to give you an idea what will help us to see what you have going on. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...&postcount=197 We have a little different configuration in our setups, so yours will be a little different.

Hope this helps. I'll offer more advice when I can.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have way too many small ring connectors under the main current carrying lugs.

Make sure all You large cable lugs on the battery terminals, Solenoid, Fuse and Controller terminals always go first so you have the most efficient current transfer connection.

All small ring terminals go on top of the main lugs as they pass less current.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I agree with all comments above. A simple diagram of how yours is wired will help in any DX from the above guys who are much better than me at doing that.

Here's a pic of how my setup is wired. Just pencil and paper it out and that may be a big help.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
sockeye342
Not Yet Wild

Good Advice...I will put something together when I get a chance

Thank you,
Jeff
Old 06-01-2020, 09:49 PM   #8
sockeye342
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
I'll see if I can offer some help... I'm no guru, but did this build on my CC.

One, I would recommend getting something to cover all the contacts on top of your battery pack. Drop something on top of there and you'll have a spark show at least, if not a worse outcome.

In the video you mentioned that some of the wires were loose in the connector on the BMS. Here is a link to a post in a different thread that shows how you can make sure all of those connections are correct. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...5&postcount=22 That whole thread is great to read through.

Also, I would recommend drawing a little diagram to show us how you have everything wired and connected. Trying to see how it is all connected in a video or pictures is tough. Here is a link to a post in my build thread to give you an idea what will help us to see what you have going on. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...&postcount=197 We have a little different configuration in our setups, so yours will be a little different.

Hope this helps. I'll offer more advice when I can.
I checked all the voltage per the 1st URL you listed. I currently have 37 volts to the entire pack and as I checked each connection, it went up 3.7 volts as it should...all connections checked out.

I removed the connector to the BMS and reseated it to see if that would make a difference and still no power.

So here is the question, am I one of the unlucky ones who received a bad BMS?
Old 06-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

It could be a bad unit. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happen.

Just curious though....have you looked straight into the ZEVA connections to see if any pins (I can't recall if there are pins inside or what type of connection that green snap connection has) or any of the metal connections are missing or bent? They all should look the same. If you have one that's different....that may be the issue.

Just "thinking out loud."

I hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #10
cmysstailights
Gone Wild

Take a small screw driver and insert it in the switch and lightly push. You will here a click. You cannot turn it on with a finger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium