lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2022, 07:41 AM   #261
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Talking through an ignition problem

Another thing to consider if we did successfully make the Ford module work would be where it plugs in .
I used two connectors that were cut off a wiring harness from vehicle on the one I fried.
It needs to be sealed from moisture and make sure it snaps in place.
I am sure some could be made but they would need to be sealed and tight plus easy to remove if needed.
More later on this
Thanks Cartmaster and CP241 for the help.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #262
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I would just change all the connectors to these.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/super...onnectors.html

I use them at work on the mowers etc. Ideal for the coil, pulser, igniter etc.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #263
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Personally I’ve really come to like the deutsch connectors. You can buy kits on Amazon with the terminals, various sized connector housings, etc. they’re kind of the market standard when it comes to emergency vehicles (police, ambulance, military, etc). I’ve even noticed that the OEM club car connectors are also Deutsch connectors as well.

They’re waterproof, vibration proof, easy to service, and just generally very high quality and durable.

The big kits with lots of options are expensive, but for a small project like this you can get kits with the weather seals, terminals, and a dozen or so connectors for around 10-15 bucks.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:48 AM   #264
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Yes I see them on club cars a lot. The only thing I have against them is my arthritis makes it a struggle to disconnect them but definitely waterproof and serviceable.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #265
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I will try to find another module and maybe a coil to go with it.

I wanted to use the ford connector because I didn't want to start cutting wires on the one that was give to me.

As it turned out it wouldn't mattered. I fried it away.

Its hot and humid here today. and its only May.

Firing project on hold for now . I wait and see what CM and CP say about a coil.
Next thing I fry will be chicken lol with mashed taters
Old 06-14-2022, 06:42 PM   #266
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I am at the end of these trials and error ignitor test. My final answer is you can use it if nothing else is available but it has risk as you will see in my video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_rYCadtgXw

This is the MCI 295 running off the 1977 Ford Duraspark ll Ignition System using the pre mci stock coil . Coil got hot by the way when it ran for a few minutes. I already trashed the Denso coil and not going to mess up anything else. Finished and on to something else

You will see in this video even though I did wander off subject making the video that it kicks hard after I shut it off and restarted. I am not ruining my engine so my tests are over. I also connected the white wire to retard the timing but it still did the kick and like the HEI I heard a spark knock. At the 58 second part of video it stumbled a little like I do

Final answer on this from my end. Use with caution. I personally wouldn't use the HEI or Ford module on any 4-stroke twin cylinder engine but that is just me. You need ignition timing and these modules don't have it.

The old 2-strokes robbin single cylinder engine would be fine using one of these setups. .
Old 06-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #267
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I think I saw a little dirt on the floor. Better get the broom

But seriously, very nice work. You were able to successfully get it to “work” though it certainly is far from ideal. Heat is bad, and I don’t know how long I could see that continuing to work before it starts messing things up.

Wish I had an old pre-mci to play with like that but “projects” now days cost as much as finished carts did just a couple years ago I’ll have to wait it out until things settle in a bit. But I’d be curious to try a GY6 DC cdi unit or even a Yamaha G2/G9 ignitor as I think those may work well also.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:42 PM   #268
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I think I saw a little dirt on the floor. Better get the broom

But seriously, very nice work. You were able to successfully get it to “work” though it certainly is far from ideal. Heat is bad, and I don’t know how long I could see that continuing to work before it starts messing things up.

Wish I had an old pre-mci to play with like that but “projects” now days cost as much as finished carts did just a couple years ago I’ll have to wait it out until things settle in a bit. But I’d be curious to try a GY6 DC cdi unit or even a Yamaha G2/G9 ignitor as I think those may work well also.
Thanks, when I ran it for while and started it back I am sure you heard what I did . That timing is way too high. I once broke the end off a chevy starter after I installed a block assembly and put distributor a notch off. Never did that again.

I have enjoyed playing around with this project but got to move on to something else. I have tested several OEM carburetors I cleaned, blew up a few coils , tripped on my own feet a few times , checked different air gaps on the pulser and a few more things .

Cartmaster should log in here in a while to add to this.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:49 PM   #269
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Blowing up stuff is all part of the fun, as long as you got spare stuff to blow

That was a big part of my last job I really enjoyed. DFMEA (defect failure mode and effects analysis). Basically taking a product and duplicating different failures to verify what actually happens in the car. (If this circuit shorts to ground, how does the car react. Kill the engine? Kill just the windshield wipers? Make something behave erratically? Or would nobody notice at all?). Obviously a wee bit more to it than that, but sometimes I did get somewhat catastrophic results we would them have to redesign or change something to minimize that lol

Blowing up cars is even more fun than golf carts. Especially when it’s your job, it’s expected, and you don’t have to pay for the damages
Old 06-14-2022, 10:23 PM   #270
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

well I logged on Trig.

I had a feeling things were going to go this way. We knew timing was an issue and this proves it. Yes, I agree it can get the engine running again but there are issues that I think the GY6 module may well overcome. At first I wondered if there would be any difference under load, but the main issue seems to be at start up with the engine kicking back. this would still be the case in the cart as the engine would not see a load until the clutches start doing their thing. I have not been around much this week as two of my colleagues have been on annual leave and I have been covering for them. I think you have been both excited and frustrated at the same time Trig, and your determination has definitely been an eye opener on this project.

As CP says, the cost of projects these days means this sort of trial and error testing can get expensive along with the lack of supply of quality spare parts for when things go wrong. I have spoken to a contact at Textron UK regarding trying to get specifications for the igniter and the ignition system in general, but even he has struggled. I think you can safely say that this is definitely an end to this attempt for now, but if I could find some space to set up a test engine I may be tempted to take it further myself. I applaud your efforts and hope that others who read this thread will learn something from it.

I will keep an open mind for now and keep scouring the web for possible other options.

I am getting ready for work now so will catch up with you guys later.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO