lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #1
Bhager
Not Yet Wild

Default Big Battery Eagle Kit

Hello I have a 2010 club car precedent 48v and my lead acid batteries are coming to the end of their life. Looking to upgrade to lithium. I am evaluating big battery eagle 60ah kit which seems to be a good value but want to get others with more experience thoughts. Also looked at husky 105ah but that is almost 600 dollars more. Other option would be eco 72ah kit but I have reached out to distributors in my area and no one will call me back so leaning towards big battery just because I can order direct. Cart is stock motor with 22 inch tires. Any advice would be much appreciated and if there are other suggestions I am not thinking about I am open to those as well. Thanks in advance for your help.
Bhager is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2022, 11:19 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Big Battery Eagle Kit

Pay the $600. A 60AH pack is marginal at best under most conditions. I would recommend 105AH - the main reason is that it should handle higher discharge current and give you more range margin. 22 inch tires put additional current loads on the batteries.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:54 AM   #3
HOYT9
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Pay the $600. A 60AH pack is marginal at best under most conditions. I would recommend 105AH - the main reason is that it should handle higher discharge current and give you more range margin. 22 inch tires put additional current loads on the batteries.

I agree with this 100%. I have the big battery HSKY. its well worth the extra $600 and they always have 10% off codes available. I have ordered one and a buddy just ordered one and shipping time was 7-8 days.
HOYT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:42 PM   #4
Bhager
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOYT9 View Post
I agree with this 100%. I have the big battery HSKY. its well worth the extra $600 and they always have 10% off codes available. I have ordered one and a buddy just ordered one and shipping time was 7-8 days.
Thanks for the input. From reading the forum sounds like a lot of people are happy with their husky conversion. Need to think about it a little more but i think i am leaning towards the husky now. In case it is helpful to anyone else i have put together a table summarizing key stats and cost for the batteries i was considering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (52.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #5
tuckercart
Not Yet Wild

What do you guys do for 12v accessories like lights?
tuckercart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:42 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Use a voltage reducer. Converts battery voltage to about 12Volts.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:14 PM   #7
Bhager
Not Yet Wild

I was reading the thread about a lithium battery catching fire and I have seen the occasional news story about electric cars catching fire and read about the Chevy bolt recall. Wanted to get peoples thoughts on safety as I have my cart in my garage in a two story house so if it caught fire could be quite dangerous. I am sure most of these instances are rare and maybe they are attributable to misuse of chargers or battery trauma but just wanted to ask the forum. I am currently planning to order the BB husky and plan to use the BB charger that comes with their kit.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:48 AM   #8
Bhager
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Ok so all three of my local eco battery distributors are unresponsive after several attempts to reach them by phone and email. I found a distributor out of my local market that will be getting in a shipment next week and will sell my one and ship it. Only issue is shipping is quite high. So 105ah eco is 2600 plus 375 shipping for a total cost of 2975. That compared to BB husky which would be about 2500 shipped with the 10 percent off. Is the eco worth the extra money? Both seem to have similar specs. Eco has the charge port receptacle replacement and voltage converter and digital readout guage but still seems like a lot extra. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:44 PM   #9
Bhager
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhager View Post
Ok so all three of my local eco battery distributors are unresponsive after several attempts to reach them by phone and email. I found a distributor out of my local market that will be getting in a shipment next week and will sell my one and ship it. Only issue is shipping is quite high. So 105ah eco is 2600 plus 375 shipping for a total cost of 2975. That compared to BB husky which would be about 2500 shipped with the 10 percent off. Is the eco worth the extra money? Both seem to have similar specs. Eco has the charge port receptacle replacement and voltage converter and digital readout guage but still seems like a lot extra. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Distributor was able to offer me a discount on the shipping so the gap was narrowed a bit and I ordered the eco 105ah. Should ship to me next week. Can’t wait to get it and install.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhager View Post
I was reading the thread about a lithium battery catching fire and I have seen the occasional news story about electric cars catching fire and read about the Chevy bolt recall. Wanted to get peoples thoughts on safety as I have my cart in my garage in a two story house so if it caught fire could be quite dangerous. I am sure most of these instances are rare and maybe they are attributable to misuse of chargers or battery trauma but just wanted to ask the forum.
There have been a few issues in golf carts. In every instance the owner of the cart over-discharged the battery at some point and then recharged. Also in each of the instances I know about there wasn't a BMS installed at the time the battery was over-discharged. The battery 'seemed fine' after charging then some time later, fire.... So if you ever over-discharge a lithium battery, recycle it. If it won't take a charge, recycle it. Don't try to open it up and bypass the BMS to revive it, send it to the hazardous waste part of your local dump.

I've never heard of a lithium battery taking physical abuse in a golf cart but it's possible. Make sure your battery is secured so if your cart falls on it's side or rolls over the battery will stay put.

The last option is over-charging. But these batteries come with a charger that should shut off before it gets to over-volting the pack and also have a built in BMS that prevents both pack-over-volting and individual cell-over-volting. So over charging the battery is not likely as you have redundant safety mechanisms in place.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium