lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default 1992 G9 No Spark

Hi Folks, brand new here. Been reading a bunch of "no spark" related posts from my garage in SE Texas & think I hit a wall. I've auto & boat experience, small engines are kinda new for me.

This "new to my dad (less than a year)" 1992 G9A (based on chassis# JG5-112817) was running fine until last week. My dad parked it one night, next day it wouldn't start. I went over & checked the 4 basics, fuel/air/fire/exit & found no fire. After unscrewing the SP cap from the high tension wire & seeing no spark there I suggested he replace the coil. Well, $90 later, still no spark. I decided to bring it to my air conditioned garage to dig deeper. Here's what I've found and/or fixed so far.

Charged the battery
Cleaned battery terminals & posts
Checked coil:
- Primary 1.6 Ohm
- Secondary 10.11K Ohm (no cap)
- Cap 5.46K Ohm
Pickup coil 541 Ohm
Replaced battery to chassis ground
Replaced .25F spade (loose) at orange (+?) on coil

Much like the boats I buy, the electrical looks like it's seen at least a few shade trees.

The cart shop he bought it from thought it was a G14 & sold him a coil based on that. Not sure what they based their "G14" assumption on.

It's a neat lookin little rig, lifted with big ol fat nobby tires & all camo'd out. Sure like to get this running for him. Kind of a Papa's Day gift...

Any thoughts and advise would sure be appreciated.

Thanks much
Karl
pYr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 1992 G9 No Spark

Most common thing is wiring issues. My G9 had most of the connectors replaced before I bought it in 99, such as the small wires on the solenoid. It was a golf course trade in. Grounds are all wired you have to check those, even coil has a ground wire if its a g9/g2. Check the two fuses. The ignitor tends to go out when hot, they are expensive so recommended you swap one to test and check everything else first. 12v goes to key, then to pedal switch, then lights up ignitor/coil/solenoid all at once. Should get power to all of them usually a white/red wire, see diagram post above in stikies. Get the ngk plug for the newer yamaha bprs2 or whatever it is. Plugs can foul out on them especially if the airbox is not sealed, though you would still show spark with a tester. Very reliable cart, wiring issues by far the most common.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the info, sho. Hope I can put it to some good. Getting back into working on the yammy after a couple days away.

For troubleshooting I've bypassed the pedal switch with a jumper, F-Bullets on both ends. Got the key switch diconnected at the molex plug & shorting there for starting attempts.

It turns out the coil purchased was a 5150, looks to be the right part. I went & picked up the old coil, about the same specs as the new.
All fuses found test good.

One thing I noted was that I'm seeing about 1.2VDC drop between the battery & orange lead from the igniter when cranking.

Another is when measuring resistance on the pickup coil (W/B & W/R), rolling the engine over by hand there's not much change when it gets to the gap in the rotor. It'll fluxuate a bit but settle back at 541 ohms at mid gap. Not sure if that's normal in this setup. It would seem to me it should make the circuit open completely?

It looks like, for tonight anyway, I'm going through every connector & looking for excessive resistance back to source.

Here's a few pics of the buggy, I'm only going off the chassis# for model/year. DOn't even know if it's the original drive train... Are there engine numbers I can look for?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

UPDATE

I started reading the "Yami won't turnover" thread & found something. The solenoid seems to be a problem according to the 1st post by Dave. Seeing battery voltage between the black & red terminals when cranking. Also seeing battery ground on the black.

Would this stop spark in this system because of this?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Not sure but would fix that first. If low voltage the ignitor may not work. With a good car battery even a smaller one the gen should spin the engine over easily and for some time, though it will heat up with constant use like any starter. If you have air in the fuel line fill the tank or it may not prime itself.

If the cart was original there would be the same serial number on the engine as on the cart, its on the driver side near the bottom of the cylinder. Looking down at the engine you should locate it roughly behind the clutch stamped into the top of block. With the age of these carts lot of engines have been swapped for rebuilts.

I think the pickup is a hall effect, just a magnetic sensor. It acts like a tiny coil it makes a pulse at the gap, but its very small far as power, you about need an o'scope to read it.

I want to say its the ignitor but at the cost of them I'd try hard to find one to swap to test. There just isnt much to the ignition system otherwise. Some have converted them to HEI or chryco ignition but then you don't get the timing advance.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Checked the engine s/n, JG5 but older number, 029803, 1991 I'm guessing. Still the same specs as far as I can tell.

Gonna charge up one of the batteries on the shelf or pull a battery from one of the boats or cars & test thoroughly. Lookin up solenoids now. More reading & testing ;)
Old 06-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Getting back to work on the buggy today. I started by removing a battery neg. to frame wire. Been reading that all accessory grounding should go to battery neg. (or a bus there). Front & rear lights are grounded through the chassis so I'll re-wire that after the cart is running.

There's also a battery neg. to voltage regulator bracket on the plastic rear fender. I don't see it in the wiring diagram but I don't see a problem with that. Is that stock?

The ground at the voltage regulator had gotten hot at some time & burned the insulation. The copper is intact & has continuity to batt. neg. so I coated it with liquid tape.

If I get the info on the starter relay/solenoid right, I shouldn't have continuity between batt. neg. and the small black wire on the solenoid? Because I am. I also get batt. voltage (minus 1 volt) between small black & small red wires.

Without spare parts laying around to swap out, it's kinda rough nailing down what the problem is. For such a simple system, it sure has me chasing my tail, LOL...
Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Thanks for the pix's for diagnosing. The real problem is, just because you read continuity thru the "strands of wire", doesn't mean it can flow all 12 volts needed thru them under load. If I see correctly, the wires (at the regulator) had "melted togeather, sometimes you can seperate them and tape them, but many of the wire's in the harness are "connected" togeather and this could cause shorting out fuses or damaging the CDI. Don't mean to be a "bumer".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voltage-regulator-01.jpg (52.5 KB, 0 views)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks SmallBlock, I appreciate you hanging with me to figure this thing out.
I'm reading "pull the harness & unwrap it", LOL. No problem, just as soon know what's under the bandaids instead of waiting for puss to run

Would the front & rear lights running off chassis ground also cause component damage? I just talked with my dad & he was running lights last time it ran.

[Side note: I'm guessing you have/had a 450SL with a small block conversion, please PM details. I've had a few mongrels myself. A Jag XJ6/350, Honda CVCC/289, VW Bus/2.0 Pinto / gone 2.3 Mustang / gone Buick 231 Even Fire, and some others that are caught in the fog at the moment...]
Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Normally lights on the frame cause a fuse to blow, the fuse in the wires there is one for positive and one for negative. That kills the cart, but I have not seen it cause damage. Others may have. If the fuse was not stock it could be a problem, could fry wires.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha