lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1996 GXT - Running then Quit

Howdy All.

So went to use the cart today to move some feed and firewood. The battery was slow to kick things over (but it was single digits, so thats not a total surprise...). I put the charger on it, and afterwards it fired right up, and I started out. Ran for about a minute, then sputtered to a stop. Starter turned over, but the engine wouldnt fire.

I checked the plugs, and I have spark (but it looked a little weak). Tried to spray starting fluid into the airbox with no filter on, and it didnt pop. But I also pulled the fuel line in front of the filter and after the pump, and got nothing.

To me that says the fuel pump went south. But just prior to this, I installed a new gas cap, since the old one had a big hole in the plastic cap and would slosh gas out of it. The new one is a kelch that was purchased off of eBay (and the original one was the same maker, according to the patent pending notice).

I know I could put the old cap back on, but then I have the issue with a big hole and gas spillage. I have a new pump on the way, and will swap the old rubber lines out for some new tygon lines, but I wanted to check here. Could just a new gas cap prevent my pump from working entirely?

I did pull the fuel pickup, and that looks good, no cracks or holes. Filters are new as of this past September or so.

Any ideas?
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 GXT - Running then Quit

Posting an update for anyone else who looks in the future...

Turns out that it quit because of lack of fuel. I pulled the lines apart, and was able to pull fuel through the pump with a syringe with no issue, and then when I took that same fuel and pushed it into the line to the carb, it sputtered to life and ran fine. I rigged up an old oil bottle with a nozzle off of a gear oil bottle and bungeed it to the upright of the roof, and connected it with 5' or so of line I had in the garage. Ran just fine to get some wood in, and a new fuel pump is on order.

My thought is that maybe the diaphragm in the pump was not great, and the cold temps finally did it in? Ill try to take it apart when I get the old one out to see if there are any signs of what went wrong.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:09 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If it has the square aluminium pump, it could possibly just be the vent clogged up. There should be a small round brass coloured vent on the side facing out and these get clogged up with dust affecting diaphragm movement. A quick clean up with carb/brake cleaner usually does the trick.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Cartmaster. Ill look at the vent, but it was working right before hand, so something would have had to have plugged it just recently.

Hoping to get to fixing things before the snow flies this weekend, but we will see how it goes.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:12 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

This often gets overlooked, it only takes a bit of mud to fly up and clog the vent and you go nowhere. i always cleaned the vent when servicing my carts as a habit.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sprayed out the vent, but no such luck. Put in a new pump, and we were off to the races. Still doesnt seem to pump that much fuel, so will change out all the lines with Tygon once the weather warms up. It still seems to work just fine even with just a trickle of fuel, I guess thats all it really needs to keep the carb fed.

Got some hotter plugs for it that are non-resistor, and will re-adjust the valves again once its warm enough here to feel my fingers...
Old 01-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, back to post again. I was able to run the cart for a few weekends without a problem. Battery died, so that got swapped out and it fired right up. Then last weekend, it started fine, but after I stopped to load it up, it wouldnt start back up again.

Replaced the plugs, and they both have good spark. Adjusted the valves, and they werent really out much. Tried to use the gravity tank idea, and no luck. Checked compression and one cylinder is 145, the other is 150.

Any ideas here other than pulling the carb and going through it? I would have done it already, but apparently I need to pull out the starter/gen to do that, or remove the studs to get it off.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Another update. Double checked valves, adjusted one again. Changed the oil since what was under the valve cover looked a little thin (was definitely dilluted). Pulled the fuel lines, and tried to put a little pressure with a syringe. Felt something give, and she fired right up. I think my float was hung up, or maybe frozen previously.

After it started, lots of white smoke, so hoping it clears out as I run it a bit more.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO