lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2020, 03:11 AM   #1
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 72V lithium pack?

Hey guys, Im JUST ABOUT to break down and start a leaf pack build. But if Im gonna do it, Im gonna do a 72V build. I have confidence in myself to do a 48V build (done a ton of research, etc.) But Im not sure what the differences would be at 72V. Would you have to do 2 x 36V packs? Or is there a single BMS that can handle everything? I dont usually drive long distances at all. So AH is not a big concern. Just want a drag racing cart honestly. Thus I suppose 10 or 11 batteries would be all I need? Thanks for your help!!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Haddixbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #2
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Default Re: 72V lithium pack?

I made my own leaf system a couple years ago that is 36 volt 10 battery and since I’m running 2S2P. I charge it with a 10s BMS. Even if you went to a 72v 10 battery system you would need a 20s BMS OR split it into two separate 36 volt systems with a couple massive “winch plugs” to combine them after.
I guess it would come down to personal preference and if you had any of the parts already.
If I was going to go to 72 volt I would do the two battery system because I already own one of the 10s BMS and a charger. I would only have to get another 10s BMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you have the controller already? What is the max V of the controller? My 48V controller can handle up to 62V so when I built my pack I went 58v. If your 72V controller can handle 84V then a 19S (78.8V at 4.15vpc) or if you want to push it closer a 20S (83.0V at 4.15vpc) pack would work.

Another thought is how much of a drag cart are you looking for? I have the "baby" 300 amp Alltrax with a stock TXT48 motor on 23" tires and if I turn up the controller a bit I pop wheelies. So if you are wanting a fun cart to go faster than your buddies, that can happen on a 14S pack and there is a lot of other people here running 14S packs. If you want to roast tires at the 1/8th mile drag strip then obviously you need a lot more then what I'm talking about...
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

If your just looking at dusting the guys and not serious racing... What controller and how many amps are you planning for? I would probably build a 10 module, 20S1P, use a generic BMS and charge to only 4.10v/82v. Less stress on the cells and controller.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Do you have the controller already? What is the max V of the controller? My 48V controller can handle up to 62V so when I built my pack I went 58v. If your 72V controller can handle 84V then a 19S (78.8V at 4.15vpc) or if you want to push it closer a 20S (83.0V at 4.15vpc) pack would work.

Another thought is how much of a drag cart are you looking for? I have the "baby" 300 amp Alltrax with a stock TXT48 motor on 23" tires and if I turn up the controller a bit I pop wheelies. So if you are wanting a fun cart to go faster than your buddies, that can happen on a 14S pack and there is a lot of other people here running 14S packs. If you want to roast tires at the 1/8th mile drag strip then obviously you need a lot more then what I'm talking about...
I should mention that Im on an 99' EZGO TXT. Right now Im rocking an alltrax SR48600. However, Im gonna have to upgrade to the SR72500 model. Ive got a Plum Quick Demon motor. Powertron 8V batteries. I elieve the max voltage of my current controller is 60V.

Im gonna check and see what the max voltage of the SR72500 series is (probably 84). And build accordingly. The BMS that I THINK can handle it all is the chargery BMS24T. Can anyone fact check me on that?

Old 01-29-2020, 10:31 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddixbros View Post
I should mention that Im on an 99' EZGO TXT. Right now Im rocking an alltrax SR48600. However, Im gonna have to upgrade to the SR72500 model. Ive got a Plum Quick Demon motor. Powertron 8V batteries. I elieve the max voltage of my current controller is 60V.

Im gonna check and see what the max voltage of the SR72500 series is (probably 84). And build accordingly.
You'll be popping wheelies all the time! With just me in the cart it puts the front wheels 8 to 10 inches in the air on my 300 amp Alltrax with lithium... Don't under estimate the power of weight loss when getting away from the lead acid.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:04 PM   #7
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. So by math, I should be able to do an 84V pack with the alltrax SR72500. That would be done on 10 leaf cells (I THINK). My big question then would be, where do I get a charger for such a set up?? Would I be limited to a 72V pack at that point? Id like to have a decent charger that I could keep on board.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Default 72V lithium pack?

Split the ten cells into two groups of 5 and charge with 42 volt charger(s) and connect them with two massive winch plugs

S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:55 AM   #9
cricketo
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddixbros View Post
Ok. So by math, I should be able to do an 84V pack with the alltrax SR72500. That would be done on 10 leaf cells (I THINK). My big question then would be, where do I get a charger for such a set up?? Would I be limited to a 72V pack at that point? Id like to have a decent charger that I could keep on board.

There is 72v version of DeltaQ, such as this :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Q-72V...8AAOSwvgheLzta

Many of these come pre-programmed for lead-acid batteries, but can be loaded with Lithium algorithms (82.044v or 83.16v would work). The only caveat programming kit is required (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Q-Pro...0AAOSwdIFX0~aQ) but many shops that service golf carts and fork lifts have those.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
cricketo
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-N-R Customs View Post
Split the ten cells into two groups of 5 and charge with 42 volt charger(s) and connect them with two massive winch plugs

Judging by the pic you have gaps between modules, I assume you intended that for ventilation. Have you used the pack much yet ? Noticed any bulging ?
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium