lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Ride quality after going Lithium and dropping 300 Lbs. in cart weight

I've definitely noticed a stiffer ride on rougher sections of road or grass with a few roots since changing out the FLAs for lithium and losing 315lbs in my case.

Wondering what others might be doing to improve ride quality?

I know the Onward with factory lithium has different suspension loading.

Maybe go with the 2 seater rear springs in my lifted 4 seater?

Is anyone else addressing this and what has worked for you?
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ride quality after going Lithium and dropping 300 Lbs. in cart weight

I noticed a harsher ride too. To compensate for that I reduced the air pressure in the tires slightly and that helped. Then I bought the progressive springs but haven't installed those yet.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Ride quality after going Lithium and dropping 300 Lbs. in cart weight

Here is some discussion on this... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...c-lithium.html
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Thanks - some good info there.

Seems that the part numbers haven't changed, but I think CC is difficult to get information out of. David Hicks is the only guy who would probably know, and if he feels like they didn't change anything, I'm guessing they didn't.

I"ll say I noticed an error in an Onward parts diagram, and confirmed that it was an error with David (error wasn't a part number, but an assembly diagram involving suspension on on an Onward. The diagram showed the leaf being under a bracket when in fact it comes from the factory over the bracket. My cart was this way, and I verified on a dealer's new cart, and David concurred).

So I guess there's the possibility that the service manual is incorrect.

In my case, I have the mono single leaf (supposedly "HD") since I have a factory lifted Onward. I wonder if changing the springs to a 2 seater Precedent's springs would make any difference. Those parts wouldn't be expensive, but I just don't want to do all that for no discernible difference...

The other thing I wonder about is tire pressure.

My tires (23" "Street Fox" radials) say 20psi max. I run them around 18 rear and 15 front, and haven't changed since taking out the FLA batteries.

Since my cart went from around 1,000lbs to around 700lbs, I wonder if lowering the pressure some more would have any worse effect on tire wear with the lighter weight (I'm sure it would have to help ride quality a bit).

The radial tires I have now I think ride a bit harsher than the stock Kenda "Howlers" (not radials) that came on it from Club Car, so that coupled with now-stiffer suspension hasn't really helped the ride comfort to be sure.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your cart dropped 300 lbs and that weight is mostly on the rear springs.

Try 15psi all the way around as a start. You can also try 13psi but GPS your speed before doing that and after. 13 may add too much drag and you may drop your top speed, so verify. IIRC, I run 14psi. Haven't checked it in a long time.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
shortspark
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a new Onward lithium and I don't care what kind of suspension changes they made to compensate for the weight difference, the ride is much harsher than my old Precedent. I may try reducing tire air pressure as suggested here to see if it makes any difference. I would rather go through a set of tires once a year than put up with the stiff ride. I thought after a few months of use it would loosing a bit just like a new car but it rides the same as brand new.
shortspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Tires and tire pressure can make a huge difference in the cart ride!

I converted my wife's Precedent to lithium and was facing the same problem as everyone else is talking about. At the same time I upgraded the tires to a set of 20x10R-10 RHOX RoadHawk Tires from Golf Cart Tire Supply.

This was the single biggest mistake of the entire build. The tires were so hard you felt every little pebble even at 13 psi. And the tires were so out of round that it would literally bounce and throw a cell phone out of a clamp type holder... ride was bordering on being brutal. I spent several months broken up by the summer (I Snowbird) trying to figure it out what was causing the problem... The cart was new to me so I figured that the problem couldn't be the brand new tires and wheels... I finally swapped the tires and wheels from a different cart... the clouds in the sky parted, sun started shining, birds singing and all was right with the world...

I ordered set of 205/65 10 Comfort rides and my wife's not stopped thanking me for changing them. She's so happy with the difference between them she doesn't care what it cost.

Unfortunately I had to send the tires back at my cost ($175!!!) to be evaluated and tested... if they agree that the tires are not good I will get a refund, if not they will take them back with a 20% restocking fee and be out of pocket $250 total... Hopefully Golf Cart Tire Supply and RHOX will stand behind the product they sell (2 weeks and waiting...).

As I said, tire design as well as tire pressure can make a huge difference in the cart ride. If possible try swapping with someone that has a set of 205/65-10 tires on their cart possibly the Comfort-rides or Loadstars and see if there's a big difference. That way you'll know how much you're fighting the tires and how much is the suspension.

We're happy with the ride in the cart with 205/65-10 Comfort-ride tires at 15 psi on original suspension. I should also note that the replacement tires and wheels were shipped with the wrong lug nuts and center caps, chrome with black wheels. Golf Cart Tire Supply got the right ones to me a week later.

I know that it goes without saying to check the pressures when you get new tires. I'm pretty sure that they just blow 'em up until the bead seats and toss them in the box. The last set of tires ranged between 22-29 psi out of the box.

Edit: Just spoke with Golf Cart Tire Supply... They said testing confirmed that one of the four tires were bad and they would refund the tires but... they will only cover the portion of the return shipping for the one bad tire and wheel and I'm out of pocket for the shipping cost of other 3 tires and wheels. As I said before return shipping for "testing" was $175. I told them I bought 1 set of 4 tires and wheels not 4 individual tires and wheels. It's now being taken to his supervisor... :(

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My ride is for sure stiff.....still. I'm planning to swap out the current HD springs to the "normal" one that has a helper leaf when the load gets heavier.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
Tires and tire pressure can make a huge difference in the cart ride!

I converted my wife's Precedent to lithium and was facing the same problem as everyone else is talking about. At the same time I upgraded the tires to a set of 20x10R-10 RHOX RoadHawk Tires from Golf Cart Tire Supply.

This was the single biggest mistake of the entire build. The tires were so hard you felt every little pebble even at 13 psi. And the tires were so out of round that it would literally bounce and throw a cell phone out of a clamp type holder... ride was bordering on being brutal. I spent several months broken up by the summer (I Snowbird) trying to figure it out what was causing the problem... The cart was new to me so I figured that the problem couldn't be the brand new tires and wheels... I finally swapped the tires and wheels from a different cart... the clouds in the sky parted, sun started shining, birds singing and all was right with the world...

I ordered set of 205/65 10 Comfort rides and my wife's not stopped thanking me for changing them. She's so happy with the difference between them she doesn't care what it cost.

Unfortunately I had to send the tires back at my cost ($175!!!) to be evaluated and tested... if they agree that the tires are not good I will get a refund, if not they will take them back with a 20% restocking fee and be out of pocket $250 total... Hopefully Golf Cart Tire Supply and RHOX will stand behind the product they sell (2 weeks and waiting...).

As I said, tire design as well as tire pressure can make a huge difference in the cart ride. If possible try swapping with someone that has a set of 205/65-10 tires on their cart possibly the Comfort-rides or Loadstars and see if there's a big difference. That way you'll know how much you're fighting the tires and how much is the suspension.

We're happy with the ride in the cart with 205/65-10 Comfort-ride tires at 15 psi on original suspension. I should also note that the replacement tires and wheels were shipped with the wrong lug nuts and center caps, chrome with black wheels. Golf Cart Tire Supply got the right ones to me a week later.

I know that it goes without saying to check the pressures when you get new tires. I'm pretty sure that they just blow 'em up until the bead seats and toss them in the box. The last set of tires ranged between 22-29 psi out of the box.

Edit: Just spoke with Golf Cart Tire Supply... They said testing confirmed that one of the four tires were bad and they would refund the tires but... they will only cover the portion of the return shipping for the one bad tire and wheel and I'm out of pocket for the shipping cost of other 3 tires and wheels. As I said before return shipping for "testing" was $175. I told them I bought 1 set of 4 tires and wheels not 4 individual tires and wheels. It's now being taken to his supervisor... :(

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Good luck on the return and shipping issues - hope they treat you right on it.

I changed out the Kenda AT tires that were on my cart from the factory because of the howling whine on the street for the Street Fox radials (and love the quiet smooth ride the Street Fox's have - they are very smooth, and that's with one being slightly out of round by close examination, but riding I can't detect it surprisingly - even at 35+mph. The shop I bought from looked at a video and said they'd replace it including shipping, but I opted to keep it because I just don't think it would matter. Ride is as smooth as I've experienced in a golf cart - as long as I'm on smooth pavement!)

Anyway, one thing I really didn't think about was that radials I think have a stiffer sidewall, and that doesn't help with the lighter cart. I'll say I didn't really notice any difference in ride stiffness with the FLA batteries (I switched tires while I still had the FLAs) - it was after I went with the lithium battery so the old (non radial) tires may have been just as bad.

I may try dropping PSI down to 14 all around (tire sidewall says 20psi) and see if that improves things any.

Don't want to wear 'em out any faster than I have to.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
I have a new Onward lithium and I don't care what kind of suspension changes they made to compensate for the weight difference, the ride is much harsher than my old Precedent. I may try reducing tire air pressure as suggested here to see if it makes any difference. I would rather go through a set of tires once a year than put up with the stiff ride. I thought after a few months of use it would loosing a bit just like a new car but it rides the same as brand new.
Interesting - this sounds like maybe they actually didn't change anything. To me the suspension was fairly stiff even with the FLA batteries in there. I never noticed much if any lean on turns - even at aggressive speeds. Now it is really flat through the turns, which is good for safety, but it is just really harsh on road imperfections, roots, pavement expansion joints that aren't done well etc...

Is your LiOn Onward lifted with the 23" tires?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car