lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #11
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: Best lithium setup for Navitas 600/5kw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Not skeptical at all, you just reposted my techinical reason for the question, are you familiar with 3 phase AC motor VFD technology?
Not in the least, and exactly why I didn't try to answer your question and suggested asking Navitas the reasons why.

The point though is you said others here were "inferring" that speed increases with input voltage.

Originally Posted by Sergio:

I see a lot of folks making inferences that going from a 51v to a 72v lithium pack would increase the speed...

To infer means to deduce without other evidence.

Various forum members who do have experience with these drive systems (myself included) have posted the evidence in detail. That's why I asked if you were skeptical.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just got my Navitas 5kw 600a kit installed.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...38#post1741938

I'm no expert on Lithium although I did a ton of research prior to building my system. I'll let the others chime in on overall Li safety etc as my build is brand new.

Here's what I CAN tell you. My 40v Chevy Volt packs make the Navitas go like a bat outa hell. I know that in the DC world voltage definitely can equal more speed but not sure how it directly translates to AC. I still have my controller limited to 200a and I accelerate so fast that it makes your neck snap back and I can hit 30mph. Maybe faster but just got the lights installed last night so haven't had it out on the open road yet. I have nothing bad to say about going 72v, but with this combo I don't think its necessary. PLENTY of speed. Also, at the end of the day what counts is watts per mile. either way you're gonna burn roughly the same watts regardless of voltage. I don't know if there is some efficiency gain in going to 72v but if there is I doubt its much with the AC system. You can calculate watt capacity for your battery by multiplying volts x amps. So my 100aH 48v pack has about 4.8kW of energy. In the end I that's what gets you down the road. In DC you might get better acceleration and speed from the 72v but I wouldn't really want any more of either in my cart as what I have now is over the top.

Just my $.02
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #13
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast Kiteboarding View Post
I just got my Navitas 5kw 600a kit installed.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...38#post1741938

I'm no expert on Lithium although I did a ton of research prior to building my system. I'll let the others chime in on overall Li safety etc as my build is brand new.

Here's what I CAN tell you. My 40v Chevy Volt packs make the Navitas go like a bat outa hell. I know that in the DC world voltage definitely can equal more speed but not sure how it directly translates to AC. I still have my controller limited to 200a and I accelerate so fast that it makes your neck snap back and I can hit 30mph. Maybe faster but just got the lights installed last night so haven't had it out on the open road yet. I have nothing bad to say about going 72v, but with this combo I don't think its necessary. PLENTY of speed. Also, at the end of the day what counts is watts per mile. either way you're gonna burn roughly the same watts regardless of voltage. I don't know if there is some efficiency gain in going to 72v but if there is I doubt its much with the AC system. You can calculate watt capacity for your battery by multiplying volts x amps. So my 100aH 48v pack has about 4.8kW of energy. In the end I that's what gets you down the road. In DC you might get better acceleration and speed from the 72v but I wouldn't really want any more of either in my cart as what I have now is over the top.

Just my $.02
Glad you're getting those kind of results!

I don't know what kind of efficiency gain there is in 72v either, but in the course of a few conversations with Navitas over the past 6 months or so they implied higher voltage would be more efficient, but never said much in detail as to why or if there was a point of diminishing returns etc...

I agree with you that the performance is very good with mid-range voltage, and I'm very happy with the efficiency in terms of watts / mile.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If your underwhelmed with acceleration something isn’t right.

Call Navitas tech support, get the dealer app and adjust. A 4 seat cart can easily pop wheelies with a little programming.
Captaintv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintv View Post
If your underwhelmed with acceleration something isn’t right.

Call Navitas tech support, get the dealer app and adjust. A 4 seat cart can easily pop wheelies with a little programming.
Agree! The system has TONS of power. If performance seems off maybe some reprogramming or look at other places that are limiting performance. Cable size, maximum pack current delivery etc. I'm honestly worried that if I crank my system up to full power that I'm gonna break something.
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:15 PM   #16
ecpchris
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
Tech direct has a good price on G2 batteries. However the power pack with BMS is a little bit underpowered on amperage. A lot of people on this site buy the batteries along with the metal case to hold the batteries. They than buy a much better BMS to manage the batteries. Roypow has a good reputation although lately they have had some quality control problems. From what I have read they are working on these problems and soon will have a fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In your opinion, since this looks relatively plug and play - could I buy this and just upgrade the BMS to a better one and be good to go? Or should other things need to be upgraded as well?
https://www.techdirectclub.com/48-vo...-with-charger/

I understand the cost might be higher doing it that way, but would save time and peace of mind
ecpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #17
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I don't know what kind of efficiency gain there is in 72v either
The higher efficiency would come from less IR losses. The same reasoning the power co transmits at higher voltages. And especially don't transmit DC Voltages.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #18
ecpchris
Not Yet Wild

From RoyPow direct:

Good Morning Chris,

Thanks for your email and feedback.

For most Club Car & Ezgo golf carts, our battery works very well.
For those small part golf cart with 600a controller, normally we don't suggest to use our current version battery.

We already aware of the high current to cause battery shut down. It is because we had set over discharge current protection to keep safe.
And we already have solution for this. Our new product can be expected in USA market in Oct.

Thanks for your interesting and attention.
ecpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:21 AM   #19
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for posting this. I really do think that both AC motors and lithium batteries are only going to continue to get better, more affordable, and simpler in the coming years. Hopefully my FLAs can hold out long enough for this to happen. I look forward to one day unleashing the full potential of the 5kw AC motor and 600amp controller!
Beerdude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #20
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have installed 3 sets of Navitas 5kw sets here in my neighborhood. Two have 72V Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries and are VERY NOTICABLY faster and more powerful than the same exact setup and settings as the 48V Lead Acid set-up. The only difference in the programming is that I set the two lithium sets with a current draw limit of 200A and the L/A set with a limit of 300A. That should make the wattage availability to all carts the same, but as I said earlier, there is still a noticeable difference,
I ran them all up the same (steep) hill here and the Lead acid accelerates quickly to about 18mph and then continues to slowly increase speed up to about 22 while still climbing (I set it's limit to 30) The Lithium carts accelerate quickly all the way up the hill to about 35mph (Their limit is set at 40)
dougrobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car