lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
H munster
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rebuilt my 87 EZGO Engine, still having issues, please help!!!

How about checking your ground wires? Bad grounds have been known to cause all sorts of problems and are an easy check.
H munster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow! That was a great post Dave. Thank you and everyone else for your help in my delima. Still trying to get this figured out, so please bare with me. Upon looking at the carb today I notice a strange bolt in the top of the carb. It looks like where this plain bolt is placed should have a jet there instead. You can see a picture here with an arrow pointing to this mysterious bolt.

Is that where the "upper jet" is supposed to be?

Just for the heck of it, I replaced the ground wire from the battery to the frame, and from the frame to the engine. Made no difference

Also I specifically remember putting the piston in with the port facing the carb side of the engine, so the piston is installed right.
YourCustomCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well I have to confess that your carburetor has me confused, it really does not look like a BV-18 (although it could be from the same family. At first glance the bolt that you arrow looks like it should be the mixture screw (it is in the right position) then looking to the right of the arrow head you can clearly see a mixture screw so I don't know. I can tell you that the philips head screw at the far right is where the oil pipe used to be whether or not it is sealing the port is another matter. In addition your image shows that there is no provision for the governor to work. It is a small matter but further evidence that it is not the correct unit. I have attached an image of the correct unit.

I can't tell you what to do but I can relay my experiences of rebuilding this engine. I cleaned my carburetor at least three times and I never got the car to run acceptably. Eventually I bit the bullet and bought a new carburetor for ~$99 and the car now runs like a new machine.
Of course you also have an issue with possibly worn seals and my gut feeling is that you will inevitably have to replace them as well.
On the good news front there are many guys who will help you with the seal replacement and when you finish your little 2PG will exceed your expectations.
Good Luck
Dave

Ooops Sorry I just re-read my post and I realize that what I said was not entirely correct. In your picture the low speed mixture screw is in the correct place and the lock nut has been loosened. That big ugly screw that you arrow is where the low speed jet should be. If that screw has replaced the jet and has not damaged the thread I have one that I can mail out foc, just let me know. Sorry if I muddied the waters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2pg carb.jpg (21.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Dave Box; 02-03-2011 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: post script
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Dave,

The carb you have in the picture, is that the kind that is on your motor, or the one that is to be on CustomCarts motor? That is the same carb i have on my 1989 3PG. The carb in his pic, is a dead ringer of the one that was on my 1982. I am just a little confused.~~Not hard to do!!~~

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Jon, yes I was afraid my reply may have clouded the issue. So my picture is what I had on my cart which I never got working very well. It is also identical to the new carburetor that I bought to replace it. If you look carefully you can see that his picture is different. The choke lever is on the top not on the side and there appears to be no provision for the govenor cable. This and the fact that there is a ugly bolt jammed in the top led me to believe that this is some junker carb and probably not a BV18 as it should be. Of course I could be wrong, that too has been known to happen.
Dave
Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #16
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After I read Dave's post about the carb looking different than what he used for his 2pg, I did some searches on the Internet for replacement carbs for my engine. What I found is that the picture Dave provided matches those carbs that I found for sale to be used on 87 and earlier 2pg engines. I also found that the carb on my engine looks more like that of the carbs used on 88 2pg engines. I just ran my serial number again to verify the engine/make/model.

My Serial number, 460508, verifies that my EZGO is an '87 Model:GX444 2-cycle Gas Marathon.

So why would my cart have a different carb on it?

Should I "bight the bullet" like Dave and just buy a new carb? If so, should I purchase an 87 and earlier style (like Dave's) or should I get the 88 style (like the one I currently have)?

Example of carb like Dave's for sale:http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/golf...B%20EZ1%205560

Example of '88 carb more similar to what I currently have: http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/golf...B%20EZ1%205561
Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #17
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

YCC,

I would just buy a new carb. That way you know you are starting with a clean slate!

Just my $0.02!!

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Should I go with the 87 and earlier carb that looks different than The one currently installed in my cart, or go with the 88 style that looks more similar to what I already have?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I vote for the correct carb for your engine which should be the BV 18. However as I always like to say it's your car, your money and your choice.
Good Luck
Dave
Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah Dave, I think I'll go with the style like you showed in your picture above. I read your blog and found that our carts are identical. Same model and everything down to the white paint on the trim! Can you explain the homemade method of removing the clutch and pulley? I'm going to pull the engine back out tomorrow and replace the crank seals. One less thing to worry about afterwards. Maybe go ahead and clean up the engine compartment while I'm at it. Ordering the carb right now...

Tags
87 ezgo, engine rebuild, low power, performance, won't run
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO