lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Here is a shocker!!!

I recently bought a 2003 EZGO gas golf cart. Being new to the game I don't know too much about maintenance but had to learn. I first changed the oil and went to Valvoline Semi Synthetic 10W-30. Having done that I decided to check the differential. I searched the posts and someone said 30W and it holds 22 ounces. Well I pulled the filler cap and stuck in my finger, nothing. I took a piece of wire and curved it into the differential, nothing. So I rigged a funnel with a hose and put in a quart and still it did not overflow. I guess it was dry! Am I missing something?? There was no oil on the differential, nor in the wheels, so I don't see anything leaking anywhere. I did notice that the cart had a whine and I didn't know if it was the belt or the differential. I don't hear the same whine anymore. Could the mechanic who was supposed to check out the cart before it sold just failed to check the differential or what do you guys say??? Did I add too much oil. As I said I didn't get any to spill out the filler hole but stopped at one quart. Should I add more??? Need some sage advice. Thanks
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
thewskrs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Here is a shocker!!!

Hello Texas001,
These are just like car differentials. Fill it up till it is right at the level of the filler hole. Heck, it probably feels like a new cart with what you have already added. But with that poor maintenance on the previous owners part, I would go over the bearings , etc...Lube is a good thing !
thewskrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
stretchman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

there are two bolts (plugs) on the clutch side of the diff. They are low the bottom one is the drain plug and the one about 2" higher level is the (to fill level). Fill 30wt oil till it starts coming out of the top plug. NOT the yellow rubber fill plug.
stretchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchman View Post
there are two bolts (plugs) on the clutch side of the diff. They are low the bottom one is the drain plug and the one about 2" higher level is the (to fill level). Fill 30wt oil till it starts coming out of the top plug. NOT the yellow rubber fill plug.
I probably overfilled it then. I will pull the top plug you mentioned and let the excess drain out. It is fools like me that keep the parts guys in the money. Thanks a bunch for your help.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Are you sure about that 30 weight in the diff. My EZGO calls for 80 and I was under the impression that all EZGO gas carts were 80 and all electric carts were 30.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
SGF
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

This is right out of pg. 43 of my TXT owner's manual "Rear Axle Oil 40 oz (1.2 liters) / SAE 30". It doesn't specifically say motor oil but I presume that's what it is since I've never seen a differential oil that light.

Last edited by SGF; 12-31-2010 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: add the word "owner's"
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGF View Post
This is right out of pg. 43 of my TXT owner's manual "Rear Axle Oil 40 oz (1.2 liters) / SAE 30". It doesn't specifically say motor oil but I presume that's what it is since I've never seen a differential oil that light.
Okay, I checked the level and let the excess drain out. I measured the amount that came out and it was one quart, the amount I put in, so the level was correct to begin with. Sometimes I wonder about myself. I got a owners manual and will refer to it first, the next time I want to do something stupid. Thanks to everyone.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I opened the check level plug and let the excess run out. I measured the amount that came out and found it was one quart, the amount I put in so there was no problem with the level to begin with. Sometimes I wonder about myself.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
bowtieracin
Gone Wild

Hello were you checking and adding thru the yellow rubber plug up higher?
bowtieracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I found no oil in my diff too. I didn't check it till the thing started making noises though..... kind of grinding or like something is dragging. I found several places where 30 wt was to be used. And other places where gear oil should be used. I ended up using Lucas Oil's 80/90 wt. & have been driving it for a few months now. I figure the damage is done now so at some point something will come apart. I found a diff on Ebay (just the middle section) for $250. Another guy here in town who says he has several old EZGos he's parting out (but it's under a foot of snow right now).

Mine is a 92, so the thing has been driving 11 or 12 mph for 17 yrs with no oil in the diff. I buy it, lift it, unrestrict the governor, put 20" tires on it, boony around in the sand & woods, have top speeds of 23 or 24 mph, for about a year before I looked at it. Hard to believe they may be shipped dry like this.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO