lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
socal760
Not Yet Wild

Default shock aborbers

once again did a little research on the topic but didnt find much. i was wondering how to tell if i need new shock absorbers, im pretty sure i have to collapse them and see if they come back up on there on..is that a correct way to see if there still good? i did so already with my shocks but they do not retract back on there on. besides buying the original shocks has any one ever tried or can maybe suggest a common store like napa or autozone maybe oreilly to buy a replacement? one more question, i also need to replace the little rubbery bushings that go on the shaft of the shocks..how much do i tighten down? till there flush with the plate they sit on? thanks again guys and look forward to the replies
socal760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
abumpa
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: shock aborbers

From the net...

Shock absorbers are installed on your car's suspension to dampen shock and stabilize the ride when going over bumps or rough roads. Most cars have a shock absorber for each wheel. Although shock absorbers, or shocks, don't support the weight of the vehicle, they control the oscillation of the suspension over rough surfaces, keeping the tires in full contact with the road at all times. Over time, shock absorbers wear out and need replacement.

Road test your car on a familiar road and note any differences in the usual ride and handling. Listen for squeaks in the suspension that may indicate worn shock absorber bushings. Note that any of the following symptoms may point to worn shock absorbers: bounciness in the ride, tires squealing around corners or hydroplaning on wet roads.

Park the car on a level surface. Push down on the bumper or fender on one corner of the car. Stand back and allow the body to rise back up. If the body bounces more than once, the shock absorber on that corner of the car may be worn. Repeat this procedure for the other three corners of the car to check the other shocks.

Crawl under the vehicle and visually inspect the shock absorbers for leaking oil. Check the shock mounting brackets and bolts to ensure that they are not loose or broken. Check for excessive corrosion or deformation in the shock body, which would warrant replacement of the shocks.

Check the tread on the tires for patchy wear or worn spots, which would indicate the wheel is not staying in complete contact with the road over bumps because of worn shocks.

Have the shock absorbers tested by your auto mechanic using a dynamometric test machine. Have the shocks replaced if they fail the test.
abumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

what bumpa said, but want add that the shocks on a cart are generally not gas charged, meaning where ever you push or pull them they will stay in that position. only gas shocks will go back to the wide open position without assistance. unless leaking, shocks on a cart rarely wear out.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
9dawgs
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

As far as replacing the rubber bushings go, I normally just tighten down until the nut is good and snug against the washer over the rubber. You don't want to over tighten because that will cause premature failure of the bushing...hope this helps :>) You can pick up a set from most auto parts stores. The inside diameter is pretty standard as far as I know.
9dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
socal760
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dawgs View Post
As far as replacing the rubber bushings go, I normally just tighten down until the nut is good and snug against the washer over the rubber. You don't want to over tighten because that will cause premature failure of the bushing...hope this helps :>) You can pick up a set from most auto parts stores. The inside diameter is pretty standard as far as I know.

thanks a lot boss for the reply. your right, that is exactly what i did i went to an auto part store and bought a set, they where pretty cheap too and fit just as good as the original ones. here is a picture of the set i bought, they come with 8 pairs so 16 bushing all together. i found that the other set that comes with just one pair were a little to long and the nut wasnt grabbing the thread on the shaft
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bushing.jpg (88.9 KB, 10 views)
socal760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
9dawgs
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal760 View Post
thanks a lot boss for the reply. your right, that is exactly what i did i went to an auto part store and bought a set, they where pretty cheap too and fit just as good as the original ones. here is a picture of the set i bought, they come with 8 pairs so 16 bushing all together. i found that the other set that comes with just one pair were a little to long and the nut wasnt grabbing the thread on the shaft
Awsome! Glad to help Now post some pictures of your cart!
9dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO