lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Secondary-Clutch settings

Wished you would have talken notes on every position, could have been a killer sticky! Could not find the info from Tom, but I did have a note scribbled...softest preload, but I'm running a clutch set up with 2k engagement. Maybe I should send you a umax spring for testing, you could set it "soft" for high speed and the longer spring could help with the bottom end? 5 minutes?......you need a job?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I'll run some testing,all I did so far was B-1,then B-3.I need to get a tach so I can watch for the true Upshift.I'll try the spring if you want.I'll get the Spring for the Primary ordered,then do all the testing together.I'm gona play with it a little this weekend,in between a Wedding,Carnival Beer-Tent,and a B-Day party,and side-work!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Changing the settings on the secondary should not change full throttle operation much at all. Like I said the primary is where that is at. Larger diameter primary will help speed but far as I know the 1190 is the only one larger and they are really hard to find and not that easy to tune either.

Getting the different ramp angle secondary sheave for the ezgo might help they shift differently.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Ez-Go Secondary will swap with a Yami G2?I got some speed back after I reset to B-3,I know that the Secondary adjustments will affect when and how it shifts,not its' overall top-speed.I'd like to get a machined-secondary for it this winter,Gonna talk with PlowMans and see what they suggest.The cart needs to be re-geared or Up-Sized on tires to really let the Opposed stretch its' legs.They build so much power,so fast,that they wind out to Top-RPM very quick,so cutting the Final-Drive Ratio down will definitely push it to a much higher speed without a doubt.I just picked up a nice extra motor the other-nite,its' getting set-up for Higher RPM(Much Higher than it was meant for).All ready planning stuff out.The trick with the Opposed vs a V-Twin or Clone,is that this motor is 42cu.inch(694cc.)!!A 18 V-Twin is around 500cc.I can get at least 10hp out of this thing pretty easy,maybe more.We raced Go-Karts for years in the early 80's when there weren't many performance parts,we massaged them and got some wicked results(And alot of Trophies!).
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The 1190 is a Salisbury clutch made by comet, a primary. I don't know if the secondary can be swapped I doubt it. Just saying the secondary does not do much but backshift and control belt tension, it reacts to engine torque but the primary has the last word on max rpm and engagement. If you want holeshot then work on the primary tuning. All these secondary springs are only sold because on some carts like yamahas you can't spring the primary. Its a bandaid solution and not how the secondary was made to work. Since the opposed is a midrange rpm engine you might want a weaker but longer spring in the primary, that would give you higher engagement and shift it out fast after that so rpm do not go higher. Far as gearing you need more tire or HS gears. You can check the clutches and make sure they are shifting out all the way, mark the inside of them with marker and let the belt wear it off to show you. One ideal way to set up the clutches is move the engine away from the trans until you lose top speed, then back a little. That will give best holeshot and keep top speed. Too short a belt or too little distance between will cut top speed. Too much and it will dog out of the hole. Some yamaha have a cable you adjust for engine torque that holds engine away when under torque, it would be easy enough to make one out of an eye bolt.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Tom at CPP told me with the Big Block, B2 is the sweet setting.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Sho,I have to argue that the Secondary doesn't do much,It is what gives you your speed.When the sheaves start to open,its'shifting,then the gearing begins changing as the belt drops down into the sheaves.I'm not trying to gain a lot at this point with the secondary,just trying to get it to perform decent,as I found yesterday with the B-3 setting,I'm going to try B-2 tomorrow.When I put in the Torque-Spring,It lost a ton of top-end,It wasn't shifting hardly at all.The more it opens,the more top-end it will have.I know about the Primary being where its' at for performance,look at all the posts that I've responded reguarding Shimming the Primary on a Marathon vs Short-Belts and Secondary Spring-Kits.I shim those clutches 3/16" and get the same performance as a $50 belt or spring for under $1!!The adjustment on my engine isn't so easy,the motor can't be moved due to space,its' literally stuffed in,and I built the cradle.I wanted adjustment,but couldn't move it anyway.There is no "Tension-Cable",the motor is rigid-mounted to the cradle and swing-arm,so I know nothing is changing on its' own due to flex.I'm going to try to get a belt about 3/4" shorter,and see what that does.Right now,it idles without creeping,shifts from Forward to Reverse easy,but its' right at that point,so I know the belt setup is right for "Normal-Setup".I'll see how B-2 works tomorrow,and I've got some other Primary-Springs to try too.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Tom at CPP told me with the Big Block, B2 is the sweet setting.
Thanks Ron
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
jdb4557
Not Yet Wild

I know this is an old post, but I am going through the same secondary clutch testing that is described in this post. How did the B-2 setting work? Where did it lead you for the highest speed?
jdb4557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

B2 was the best overall setting for mine.I got the best speed and torque at that setting.Keep in mind that I have an Opposed-Twin,its' going to have different results with different motors and clutch/belt combos.I'm using an Ez-Go TXT Primary-Clutch with a 200rpm increased- engagement spring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha