lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Broken Piston...

so i recently rebuilt the top end of my recently bought 82 g1; bored cylinder, new piston, rings and all the lil ends and outs. ran great for a few weeks then all of a sudden no compression! popped off the top to find the groove that holds the rings broke off and shattered rings. called my supplier but no word back... was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by ferdabutt; 03-18-2013 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: didnt work
ferdabutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Broken Piston...

Face book won't open the images.

Did a ring hook the exhaust port
Did you
rechamfer the edges of the ports
allow a little extra ring end gap for the over bore
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

yeah sorry about that i wasn't sure how to upload pics, but i don't have a boring bar so i took it to my local racing guy. i assume he did everything necessary for boring it out. i left the head at the shop and will have to take a look at it in the morning to look for the chamfers. how much should the edges be chamfered?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Not much, just to get the casting flash off. When you buy a new jug kit they usually come from China, not nearly the quality that the orig Yamaha part had. With that said, it must have been a defective piston. These things can have cracks from the factory, I've seen it before with Kawi parts. Unless you spend the cash on Japanese Yamaha parts, it's kinda a crap shoot unfortunately. Hopefully you bought them from a site sponsor? or at least a reputable company? If so, they should work with you.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Gilbert Golf Cart is who i went through. talked to them today and the said i have to ship it back and then they will ship back to manufacturer (nivell? they are behind buggies unlimited if i heard right) to check to see if it was defective. then they will credit me back the money if they find it defective... total time 4-8 weeks... i looked tired looking, were can you find authentic Yamaha pistons and rings in a .75 oversize?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

oh and checked the cylinder doomsman and all the ports are chamfered.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha