lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
KingPin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 - Damage to Rear Diff / Transmission housing

So my wife took the golf cart out for a ride the other day and noticed some "oil" leaking underneath the cart after her ride.

I came home to find a puddle under the rear diff. I jacked it up and found that the housing and been pulled apart and seemed a little bent.

My question is is can I find replacement parts in Canada for this? and If so what kind of skill level is involved in getting this repaired? I'm not that mechanically inclined but I am willing to give it a go.

KingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 - Damage to Rear Diff / Transmission housing

A little more information is needed as to what/how it has been damaged. You indicate pulled apart, but more information is necessary to help you.

After I purchased my 97 G-16, I discovered that in its golf course life, someone had "found" a rock with the cast aluminum differential housing and had punched a crack into it. This was found while I was doing a maintenance check of differential fluid and I found the differential was empty . I managed to grind the crack and very thorougly clean it. Afterwards I applied a patch of J-B Weld to the area and it has been "good" ever since . Just an example of what can be done with problems. Let us know more about your problem. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
KingPin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

thanks BigStik40.

Yes I took a look at the rear and it looks like it definitely had a friendly meeting with another similarly hard object; i'm not sure of what variety but it was definitely hard.

I haven't been able to get under the cart since it happened as we've been getting quite a bit of rain here and I dont have a very large garage. Primary inspection showed that there was a bit of a gap (i dont know how deep or exactly how big but it was enough to let the fluid out). I know the fluid is empty as I placed cardboard under the leak and there is nothing on it after 24 hours --- the fluid is mostly in my driveway.

I've thought about the jb weld and have picked up some of that weld putty that I could possibly use to fill the space. My concern is making sure the surface is properly prepared and primed for the placement of the putty.

I can post a pic tonight if needed.

Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
A little more information is needed as to what/how it has been damaged. You indicate pulled apart, but more information is necessary to help you.

After I purchased my 97 G-16, I discovered that in its golf course life, someone had "found" a rock with the cast aluminum differential housing and had punched a crack into it. This was found while I was doing a maintenance check of differential fluid and I found the differential was empty . I managed to grind the crack and very thorougly clean it. Afterwards I applied a patch of J-B Weld to the area and it has been "good" ever since . Just an example of what can be done with problems. Let us know more about your problem. - RAY
KingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks like you've had a similar experience with your cart. Here's what I did to clean and degrease the area before applying the "J-B".

1. Put an oil catch pan under the differential and remove the differential cover.

2. You will now need some solvent and something to dispense it. I used gasoline and my oil can. You must be careful due to the flammability. There are probably safer solvents, but the gas worked for me and I was very careful.

3.Spray the solvent liberally into the differential and let it leak out the crack into the catch pan. Do this until you have pushed a pint or so through the crack.

4. Wipe the exterior of the differential with solvent. This should expose the crack.

5. Next take a dremel tool and a rotary stone and gouge the casting all along the crack, maybe 1/16 deep. Now take some 60 grit sandpaper and clean the differential casting thoroughly for maybe 1/2 to 1 inch beyond the crack.

6. Now pour some acetone into the differential and let it run out the crack. Pour a lot through it and make sure it is running clean.
7. Let the differential dry out for at least a 1/2 hr.(a hair dryer works good here), then using some clean paper towels wipe the exterior down 2 or 3 times with acetone and more clean paper towels.
8. Mix your epoxy and apply a fairly thick coating to the differential and let it dry thoroughly and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha