lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
jkpinatl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default L6 72v, reprogram vs gearing

I have a 2019 L6 72v that was reprogrammed by Bob a year or so ago and it is incredible. I am looking to buy another in another part of the country and it will be inconvenient to have Bob reprogram it in person (and I wouldn't trust anyone else). I found a 'still new' 2019 that is a good price and has had a high speed gear installed that the dealer says runs around 30 MPH with no issues. Question is this, after a year with my Boyce L6 I am confident in the reliability etc., does anyone have any experience with regearing these vs reprogramming? If it matters it would never be used off road, never under a heavy load and always on nearly flat streets. Thanks in advance for any advice!!
jkpinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: L6 72v, reprogram vs gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpinatl View Post
I have a 2019 L6 72v that was reprogrammed by Bob a year or so ago and it is incredible. I am looking to buy another in another part of the country and it will be inconvenient to have Bob reprogram it in person (and I wouldn't trust anyone else). I found a 'still new' 2019 that is a good price and has had a high speed gear installed that the dealer says runs around 30 MPH with no issues. Question is this, after a year with my Boyce L6 I am confident in the reliability etc., does anyone have any experience with regearing these vs reprogramming? If it matters it would never be used off road, never under a heavy load and always on nearly flat streets. Thanks in advance for any advice!!
I've only come across one with speed gears to reprogram, and the controller had to be remapped because the speed gears caused the motor to draw 3.5 times the current that it was supposed to draw. The motor was overheating, and the controller was overheating. This was used for flatland road racing. The guy that did it, did it for 3 guys in the same community, so they could race each other. I would not recommend it for a daily driver. Reliability just would not be there without a remapping to allow the motor and controller to survive those gears long term.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
jkpinatl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob. Just curious, was the current draw and overheating because the controller was trying to keep up with the stock acceleration programming, effectively like constantly accelerating up a steep hill due to the gearing? If I were to get it and baby it until we are able to connect, can you successfully remap it for reliability? I am in south FL with this one and I assume it will be awhile before we can meet up. The reason it is tempting is the cart would be unusable in my community until it can run 25 mph or so. This would be on public streets and in my opinion 16 mph would be a safety hazard. One last question (that I probably know the answer to), if I found a 2019 that had not had a gear swap, could I take my controller from my north GA L6 (also a 2019) and swap them? The reason being I could easily bring the GA cart to meet you to program after the swap. Thanks as always for your help!
Old 05-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Bob. Just curious, was the current draw and overheating because the controller was trying to keep up with the stock acceleration programming, effectively like constantly accelerating up a steep hill due to the gearing? If I were to get it and baby it until we are able to connect, can you successfully remap it for reliability? I am in south FL with this one and I assume it will be awhile before we can meet up. The reason it is tempting is the cart would be unusable in my community until it can run 25 mph or so. This would be on public streets and in my opinion 16 mph would be a safety hazard. One last question (that I probably know the answer to), if I found a 2019 that had not had a gear swap, could I take my controller from my north GA L6 (also a 2019) and swap them? The reason being I could easily bring the GA cart to meet you to program after the swap. Thanks as always for your help!
E-Z-GO has been playing musical controllers throughout 2019 and into 2020. So if it has the same model number, it should be swappable. They used half a dozen different model numbers in that time frame. Just beware, do not get an Elite model. Even though lithium is desired by many, what they created is a seriously flawed design, right from the factory. They are essentually using an RXV Elite pack in a 72V vehicle. Not a good combination.

I was in FL for almost 2 weeks, made it home this past saturday. Slept most of 2 days to recover.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
jkpinatl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the information. I will check the controller model number on the one I have. I saw that I just missed your FL run, I was in GA when you were planning and at the time didn't have plans to be down here. Thanks as always for all you do for the community!
Old 06-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
JasonLilley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

Im in Johnson City Tennessee and would love to get my 2020 ezgo 72 volt reprogrammed or faster.
JasonLilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLilley View Post
Im in Johnson City Tennessee and would love to get my 2020 ezgo 72 volt reprogrammed or faster.
Get another post in and send me a pm. I can get you lined up with Bob.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
JasonLilley
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate it. I have built quite a few carts and someone recommended this page. The knowledge that is here is mind blowing.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #9
JasonLilley
Not Yet Wild

Anxious to get mine reprogram let me know what I can do to help
Old 06-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #10
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLilley View Post
Anxious to get mine reprogram let me know what I can do to help
Jason you need to pm me the following information.
Name
Address
Contact Phone Number
Email Address
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO