lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:49 AM   #1
davlan88
Not Yet Wild

Default 2012 Ezgo RXV Brake

I have a 2012 Ezgo RXV 48v lifted with big tires. The other day my electric brake croaked and locked up. I could drive it at low speed snails pace to get it home, but if I went any faster it would lock up. I bought a new Reliance HD unit, installed and it will start going fine but then after about 20 seconds of running the brake begins to engage for no reason amd boys the motor down. I have no idea if there are any hot rodded parts other than the lift and tires. I did not follow the instructions exactly, so I am hoping when I get home tonight I will have it sorted by reinstalling using the exact process. Is this a symptom of not following procedure? Did I burn up the brake? I flipped the switch to tow, turned the key to N and it did roll free last night once so got it home with the new brake. I then switched the key to Off and unplugged the brake as it was HOT. I'm hoping to redo the process tonight and all is well. This cart has been fantastic up until now. Also, is there a way to tell if there are non stock parts? I'm new to the cart game. Thank you in advance.
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2012 Ezgo RXV Brake

I'm sure others will chime in as well, but if you overtightened the bolts, there is a strong possibility the new brake was damaged. I learned this lesson myself the hard way a couple years ago. I have installed several since then and always follow the exact procedure found on this site and have had great success. Hope yours works out for you.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
davlan88
Not Yet Wild

My plan tonight is to loosen the bolts, plug the brake back in, place key in the N position, tighten to spec, place key in Off, place switch under seat back in Run and try again.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

In 2012 Ezgo switched to a Curtis controller. Do you have a Danaher or Curtis controller? The old Danaher controllers don't do well with HD brakes.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
davlan88
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the dumb questions, but where is it located and I can post it here. I'm mechanically inclined, just have never tooled on a cart.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I tried that kit, it instantly failed for me too. But it sure looked cool!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
davlan88
Not Yet Wild

Kit? The Reliance HD Electric Brake? I hope its not,bad out of the box after spending $229.

Also, where is the controller located on the cart?
Old 09-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
davlan88
Not Yet Wild

Reading through some threads, can't search from phone, I think I have the Danaher. My heat shield is bare aluminum where it says "Hot". So the Reliance HD will not work in this setup? Why wouldnt the salesman mention that if its a known issue?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
davlan88
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I'm home and all batteries test at 12.71-12.76. I went through the procedure again and all seemed to be working well, but then I got some stuttering at the crack of the pedal amd then a complete lock up again. I turned it off, then turn it back on and got home. The cart is way slower now at full pedal. The brake did not heat up. I have confirmed I have the Danaher controller. I'm at a loss now. Could the controller be going bad? This cart did just under 30mph GPS tested before this issue. No clutch smell either like the old one that I thought failed.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:34 AM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Yea, Danaher controllers do not like the extra power consumption of the heavy duty motor brake. Return it while you can and buy the regular replacement motor brake that you can get for around $125 from eBay.

Bob
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO