lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
Jseal
Not Yet Wild

Default Navitas AC conversion precedent installation questions

Just received the navitas AC conversion setup from Revolution....It includes motor (4 kw),and controller ( tac-2), plus 2g cable set. Being installed in a 2006 Precedent CC, with 4 -12 volt Trojan batteries. The installation video and text that Navitas supplies has some areas that are not addressed, especially for someone unfamiliar with golf cart circuitry, but otherwise adept both electrically, and mechanically. My questions are these....
1) The existing cable that runs thru the OBC from the battery negative to the controller has three wires together at the controller end. The main battery cable is replaced with a new 2g cable. What happens to the other two smaller gauge wires? One goes back to the OBC, and the other goes into the wiring loom.I am assuming the original main battery cable thru the OBC from battery to controller, is cut off, and replaced, with all 3 terminations connected at the controller, to replicate the original setup...
2) The existing cable from battery positive to the solenoid has a second smaller wire that connects by spade connector into the loom. Do I assume that this remains connected to the solenoid, independent of the new 2g cable that goes from battery positive to the solenoid?....
3) The cable supplied by Navitas to connect the ‘U’ motor terminal to the controller ‘U’ terminal is 4g, while all other cables supplied are 2g....?
I have attached a drawing of what I conclude from various instructions, Youtube, etc is the correct wiring. I would hope someone way smarter than I am would confirm that this is correct, before I screw this up!! I am not going to power up anything until I am 100% sure. Thankyou for any input you might have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (108.5 KB, 0 views)
Jseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Navitas AC conversion precedent installation questions

1. All you're replacing is the 6 gauge cable. Leave the other two 10 gauge cables exactly as they are. Place the on the B- post of the new controller exactly as they came off of the original controller. You can either cut the 6 gauge wire out of the terminal, or you can cut all three of the and install new 5/16" ring terminals on the 10 gauge wires. Replace the 6 gauge wire with the 2 gauge wire I sent you.
2. Put a ring terminal on this second smaller wire and place it on the battery side of the solenoid as it is now.
3. Install the new motor phase cable exactly as it says in the instructions. It is plenty large enough to provide adequate power to the motor. We send our 2 gauge cables with this kit to make the wiring look more uniform due to the fact that Navitas uses a 4 gauge wire with thick insulation. Doing it this way, All of the wiring is closer to the same total diameter. Our 4 gauge wires would look significantly smaller than the 4 gauge wire Navitas includes with your kit because our welding wire has much thinner insulation.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
Jseal
Not Yet Wild

Tahoe Dawg, thank you for your reply.
You are saying that the only reason you supply 2g cables is aesthetics, rather than electrical efficiency? I am assuming that 2g cable is also more expensive than 4g...Unfortunately, the 2g cable you supplied will not fit through the hole in the OBC!! Should I use the 4g motor cable that Navitas sent instead, and use the 2g cable that you supplied, as a motor feed to the ‘U’ terminal? Or should I send the 2g cable set back to you, and purchase a 4 g set, and not worry about the appearance of “thin” cables under the seat? Thank you for your assistance in clearing up my issues.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
Jseal
Not Yet Wild

Forgot to ask.... what happens to the wires that ran to the motor magnet housing, and the small molex plug that no longer has a home in the controller?
Cut them off? Roll them up and tape them out of the way?
Old 10-18-2020, 11:04 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jseal View Post
T-snip-
the 2g cable you supplied will not fit through the hole in the OBC!!
Why not? It has on every one I have ever used. You just lube it and pull it thru the Hall sensor (Do not modify the Hall sensor). If it already has the lug installed, then just take 2 pair of needle-nose pliers and bend it like a "U" and then flatten it back out when you are done.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
Jseal
Not Yet Wild

I have tried cable lube, and silicone spray! It will nit let the insulation through. Checked the hole for manufacturing issues( burrs, etc), and nothing...
Old 10-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
Jseal
Not Yet Wild

David, thankyou for the phone call this morning, and the successful resolution to my questions! Very much appreciated !! You will always have my business, and I am looking forward to my AC upgrade conquering our local hills...
Old 10-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jseal View Post
David, thankyou for the phone call this morning, and the successful resolution to my questions! Very much appreciated !! You will always have my business, and I am looking forward to my AC upgrade conquering our local hills...
You're welcome. I'm assuming you got the cable through the OBC? It's tight, but it definitely will fit.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car