lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2021, 09:12 AM   #41
Stano7
Getting Wild

Default Re: Icon programming/speed limit?

Thanks ATrain. I'm waiting on cable parts, should be here by the end of the week. Will report back. I appreciate all of the useful info from everyone.
Stano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #42
geoffarias
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicFury View Post
I basically edited the XML file to increase the FWD MAX Drive value per ATrain's picture he posted and then I saved the file.

From my memory - Turn the Icon "on", plug into the controller port, open the NEOS program, click "tuning". It will then read and pull in all of your settings. Find the setting you want to change, enter in the new value in the "new" field, then click "write device" at the very top. It's pretty intuitive on that. Now what all the settings actually do - that's what we're all trying to find out.

For example, I set my rpm to 6000 and I get a speed increase from 25mph to 30mph. If I increase rpm's any higher, even to 7000rpm, I see no added speed increase. It's like my motor has a hard set limit at 6000rpm or perhaps there is another setting somewhere I need to change. And my speedometer 30mph is actually 28mph according to the Waze app on my phone.
I found this to be true. Lets just go by the dash speed number. I had a limit at 25 MPH. So when I programmed it, the limit was set to 5,000 RPM. That calculates to a factor of 200. However, when I change it to 7,000 RPM Im hitting a limit of 30 MPH although have seen 31 MPH on long enough road with a slight incline. So 7,000/30 is a factor of 233.33. If the factor was 200 the speed would be 35MPH which Ive never seen.
geoffarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #43
TropicFury
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffarias View Post
I found this to be true. Lets just go by the dash speed number. I had a limit at 25 MPH. So when I programmed it, the limit was set to 5,000 RPM. That calculates to a factor of 200. However, when I change it to 7,000 RPM Im hitting a limit of 30 MPH although have seen 31 MPH on long enough road with a slight incline. So 7,000/30 is a factor of 233.33. If the factor was 200 the speed would be 35MPH which Ive never seen.
Exact same experience. Sometimes I flash a 31 or 32 on the speedometer. I have even increased the "Drive Power Limit" Line134 and while I feel more torque (perception anyway) increasing this didn't allow a higher top speed even at 7000rpms. So I'm assuming the motor isn't actually running at 7000rpms even though I set it as the max value.

I'm curious as to what line135 does - "generate power limit" and "swinging back restraint control speed" line59 since it is the only other setting having a MAX value of 6000 with a rpm unit of measure.
TropicFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #44
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
The RPM limit is just that...the upper limit. So imagine you turn your mini-van's upper speed limit to 200 mph. It will allow you to do 200mph if you can get the van up to speed.

The RPM limit just allows the motor to spin that fast, but we need to mess with the torque settings somehow to enable it to get that fast.

My i60L will hit 35mph on straight, level roads or ones with a slight decline. 90% of the time though I'm nowhere near that.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #45
Stano7
Getting Wild

Has anyone dared to Max the rpm? 10k I think it is?
Stano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #46
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Only mods to the default settings were RPM of 7000 (6000 from factory) and FWD Drive Power of 18 (15 from factory). Lithium pack, 4 passengers. Temp was 75 or so.

Took a 3 mile drive at about 85% of the trip at full throttle to destination. Failure occurred during return trip after 30 minute stop at destination. Failure was while climbing a grade at full throttle. Cart suddenly stopped without warning with complete power failure. Took about 20 minutes before I could turn the battery back on and then everything functioned fine.

It may have been the battery given the complete power loss. I wasn't running the monitors but nothing felt particularly outside of normal temps when I was initially diagnosing it FWIW. When the cart booted back up, the controller was about 35C and motor was at 70C.

As a bonus, I now know to keep a T25 key with me to disengage the automatic parking brake these carts have in a complete power-out scenario.
What lithium pack are you running? Most likely what happened with a sudden cutoff of power was that you tripped the BMS on your lithium pack due to the excessive current (amp) draw while running full speed uphill. What is the max discharge amps for your lithium pack? If you exceeded this during the uphill run, this would have tripped the lithium BMS and shut it down to protect your expensive lithium pack. Some BMS will automatically turn back on after a period of rest. Some have to be manually turned back on.
UroGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:56 PM   #47
Rasputin
Not Yet Wild

RoyPow 51V 160Ah. 100A standard and 200A max discharge (10s) per manufacturer specs. Given the grade I was on, I could have easily spent enough time to trigger the battery nanny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
What lithium pack are you running?
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:09 AM   #48
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
RoyPow 51V 160Ah. 100A standard and 200A max discharge (10s) per manufacturer specs. Given the grade I was on, I could have easily spent enough time to trigger the battery nanny.
You definitely tripped the BMS on your lithium pack with that uphill climb. Don’t think this was an overheat issue.
UroGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #49
geoffarias
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
The RPM limit is just that...the upper limit. So imagine you turn your mini-van's upper speed limit to 200 mph. It will allow you to do 200mph if you can get the van up to speed.

The RPM limit just allows the motor to spin that fast, but we need to mess with the torque settings somehow to enable it to get that fast.

My i60L will hit 35mph on straight, level roads or ones with a slight decline. 90% of the time though I'm nowhere near that.
I know youre in Cali. You don't have the 5KW motor do you? Wonder what settings you have changed vs what I have.

Im hoping to connect laptop and spend some time in monitor mode while wife drives
geoffarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #50
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
I know youre in Cali. You don't have the 5KW motor do you? Wonder what settings you have changed vs what I have.

Im hoping to connect laptop and spend some time in monitor mode while wife drives
I think this is my latest profile: https://pastebin.com/40CdmN9Z

You should just be able to safe the text as a *.neos file, then when connected to your cart:
  1. Read in your cart's parameters
  2. Load the *.neos file
  3. Look in the software for fields highlighted in RED to see differences

Just don't save/write it to your cart unless you want to replace all of your settings.

I'm not sure if I have the 5kw motor, but I thought they came with the same motor, no?

Yup, San Diego.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon