lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Ah or V?

Cart has been in storage for many months (we moved and I didn't have any room for it where we were staying for months) and I had barely finished it before we decided to list the house so it did not get much use. I thought that I would throw it on the charger (first time ever) the other night to top it off (2 Chevy Volt batteries in parallel, 48V and 100 Ah). I was concerned as to when it would shut off so I killed it the first night before it stopped and powered it back on again the next night and watched it; it shut itself off at 50.26V so I was happy.

I reset the Ah gauge to 0 (that is how mine reads) and will keep an eye on it as we finally get to use the cart a bit. Question is am I better off recharging when the Ah gets to a certain level or when I drop to a certain voltage? I have a BMS on each battery and have the ability to set an alarm on my meter for HV and LV but have not done so yet.

This cart is mostly for my wife so I just want to let her know what to watch for to avoid any issues. Thank you for any answers!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2021, 10:29 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Ah or V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Cart has been in storage for many months (we moved and I didn't have any room for it where we were staying for months) and I had barely finished it before we decided to list the house so it did not get much use. I thought that I would throw it on the charger (first time ever) the other night to top it off (2 Chevy Volt batteries in parallel, 48V and 100 Ah). I was concerned as to when it would shut off so I killed it the first night before it stopped and powered it back on again the next night and watched it; it shut itself off at 50.26V so I was happy.

I reset the Ah gauge to 0 (that is how mine reads) and will keep an eye on it as we finally get to use the cart a bit. Question is am I better off recharging when the Ah gets to a certain level or when I drop to a certain voltage? I have a BMS on each battery and have the ability to set an alarm on my meter for HV and LV but have not done so yet.

This cart is mostly for my wife so I just want to let her know what to watch for to avoid any issues. Thank you for any answers!
I know absolutely nothing about your packs. In fact I know little about my ECO.....but I'm learning.

I don't know what voltage readings you should have on the NMC packs but on the LFP packs 50.2 is less than 15%. I must be missing something. My 72 Ah pack at 20% is 51.2.

Let's see if someone (Pat911 or Volt_Ampere) can jump in here and educate us both!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #3
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks, Tom. When I got the batteries initially I checked them with my MM and they read a bit over 48V as I recall. I did not check the pack after charging with my MM this time (it is in storage somewhere; I will have to go find it and bring it back to our rental) but will just to confirm meter accuracy.

Things that I have read in my searching is that my max top out should be around 54V with a charger, and when I had the charger built I had a lower voltage shutoff programmed in to be safe (I can provide that info if anyone needs it).

I was down to about 46V on my gauge and she ran just fine (I am not getting full pedal-will work on that-and am running around 24 MPH on the high end). I just do not want to mess this thing up by doing something stupid, so I am here begging for insight!
Old 08-27-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The critical thing is minimum cell voltage. Your BMS cutoff should be based on cell voltage for your particular cells. Use SOC % for a reference of when you need to charge. Volt cells will have a reasonable voltage vs SOC curve (very nonlinear but enough of a change to be able to predict SOC). Amp Hours can be used if you have history for your pack. What I would do is measure pack voltage vs Amp Hours for a discharge cycle or two and determine at what AH or voltage you need to charge. But have your BMS protect your cells by cutting off if any cell voltage gets too low.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

The NMC packs sold by Big Battery show a full charge voltage of 50.4 volts. I'm no expert but have been researching alot.
Reddawg454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:51 AM   #6
dc.901
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg454 View Post
The NMC packs sold by Big Battery show a full charge voltage of 50.4 volts. I'm no expert but have been researching alot.
Correct, datasheet from BB on their BDGR batteries (they are NMC) has
High voltage cutoff: 50.4V
Low voltage cutoff: 36V (40V for increased cycle life).

But, no idea how the BB-BDGR battery differs from the Leaf battery pack. Although chemistry is same...
dc.901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

OP has a Volt battery pack. Not the same as most of the drop-ins. If it's 14S then the max voltage is 58.8V at 100%.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 05:19 PM   #8
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

The BigBattery NMC batteries must only be 12s with the cut off voltages given.

To the OP, I would go with aH, not volt. Probably easier for your wife to interpret anyhow.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:38 PM   #9
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you all. So do you think that if I went with 50 Ah as the low point that would be acceptable (it would be easy for the wife to remember as opposed to some random value)?

I am trying to keep it simple as well as safe; appreciate all of the input!
Old 08-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #10
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
OP has a Volt battery pack. Not the same as most of the drop-ins. If it's 14S then the max voltage is 58.8V at 100%.
The cells that I have are 12S3P (2 in parallel).

Took it for a pretty good run yesterday with my wife and a niece and nephew onboard. She did great (couldn't get much over 18 mph with the cart loaded up) and we went about 6 miles or so overall I would guess. Down to 49V and thinking (based on what I am reading-please correct me if I am wrong!) that I will charge again at 40V (I will keep an eye on Ah as well and try and determine a baseline. I do have BMS on each battery.

Here's the specs on the batteries:

Number of cells 36
Construction 12 in-series x 3 in parallel
Length 9.5"
Width 9.5"
Height 10.5
Weight 45 lbs
Output terminal M6 nut
Amp Hour 47
Total Voltage 50vdc

Cell Specifications:

Cell type Laminate type
Cathode material LiMn2O4 with LiNiO2
Anode material Graphite
Rated capacity (0.3C) 17 Ah
Average voltage 3.8 VDC
Maximum Voltage 4.2VDC
Minimum Voltage 3.0VDC

Thank you all; much appreciate the input
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car