lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #31
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1981 Lithium conversion possible?

Thanks Tom!

A picture is worth 1000 words as they say, now I have something that I can double check my wiring with... finally just got a chance to get the boxes open, but **** it’s hot out today 🥵...

Question: I know the stock setup just has rails holding the batteries on the edges with an open bottom... before I get too deep in this thing, would it be a good idea to put a shield under the LiFePO4 to protect it such as a sheet of diamond plate, or for support? Or is it better to be able to breathe?

I took a couple picks of unboxing it... looks like they tossed in a soft cooler, bonus... lol. I got the package bundle, I’m not sure they even sell the batt by itself...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B814177-BF0F-4081-AFF4-6ED2F4B0BCD1.jpg (149.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg D758C0B5-CB13-470D-902A-F445241EFD2D.jpg (153.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 94E99700-9025-434F-BAB0-C0E3CFF6102D.jpg (140.5 KB, 0 views)
81clubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #32
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81clubcar View Post
Thanks Tom!

A picture is worth 1000 words as they say, now I have something that I can double check my wiring with... finally just got a chance to get the boxes open, but **** it’s hot out today 🥵...

Question: I know the stock setup just has rails holding the batteries on the edges with an open bottom... before I get too deep in this thing, would it be a good idea to put a shield under the LiFePO4 to protect it such as a sheet of diamond plate, or for support? Or is it better to be able to breathe?

I took a couple picks of unboxing it... looks like they tossed in a soft cooler, bonus... lol. I got the package bundle, I’m not sure they even sell the batt by itself...
That cooler they add in the kit is nice for bringing home frozen food from the store!

Depending on how you ride, a base pan or plate is not really needed. I probable wouldn't have put anything under it if I hadn't had the plate around.

Now if you are woods and off road like Ronno, it might be a good idea to avoid puncturing the bottom. It would be no different than puncturing a FLa battery which never happened to me.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #33
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Awesome, I did notice there are absolutely no instructions what so ever in this packaging... man am I glad you sent those pictures... I would have little to no idea how to align everything and where to mount the various parts if you hadn’t... I’m even carefully scoping out which nuts and bolts you used 😂

Do you have a batt isolation wired in anywhere on yours? I realized I will have to buy quite a few more wires to get from here to there if I put them in... and although the toaster plate looks like a good spot for them, it is a bit impractical now that a giant batt is blocking them...

Edit... I found the little instruction sheet in the LCD box 🤙🏻
Old 08-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #34
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Awesome, I did notice there are absolutely no instructions what so ever in this packaging... man am I glad you sent those pictures... I would have little to no idea how to align everything and where to mount the various parts if you hadn’t... I’m even carefully scoping out which nuts and bolts you used 😂

Do you have a batt isolation wired in anywhere on yours? I realized I will have to buy quite a few more wires to get from here to there if I put them in... and although the toaster plate looks like a good spot for them, it is a bit impractical now that a giant batt is blocking them...

Edit... I found the little instruction sheet in the LCD box 🤙🏻
I'm glad I could help you out a bit. I do NOT have any battery isolation switches or circuit breakers on my cart. Just the 250 amp fuse. I may get some in the future.

For now, it is easy enough to pull the B+ fuse off to kill power when I work on it. I do have the 2-pole toggle switch to shut off the 48volt accessories ever day.

I would more the toaster plate wherever you have room. If you ever upgrade to an Alltrax controller, it will be easy to do.

Sorry, I see you already did the Alltrax!
Old 08-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #35
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Some spray truck undercoating or rubber spray on the bottom of your plywood will pay for itself pretty quick, btw. I'm running 94Ah Li-Ion in my '92 Club Car with the stock resistor coils and V-Glide. I used a step-down reducer for the 12v stuff. The change in torque is incredible and I went from 15mph to 19mph with no other changes. You'll be glad you made the switch!
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #36
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Tom, B+ fuse? Is that on the Alltraxx? I don’t think mine has any removable fuses as far as I can tell... maybe I will just instal 1 of those 200amp thermal breakers on the + side for now so I can isolate the cart, I’m just not sure if it will trip during normal operation.

Emoney, good call, I think I have a can of that stuff sitting on the self currently, best to keep it water resistant so I’m not replacing it so soon.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #37
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Tom, B+ fuse? Is that on the Alltraxx? I don’t think mine has any removable fuses as far as I can tell... maybe I will just instal 1 of those 200amp thermal breakers on the + side for now so I can isolate the cart, I’m just not sure if it will trip during normal operation.

Emoney, good call, I think I have a can of that stuff sitting on the self currently, best to keep it water resistant so I’m not replacing it so soon.
The B+ fuse is on the positive terminal right next to the shunt on the negative terminal. It is recommended on all of the Alltrax wiring diagrams.

If you have your wiring diagram, look right on the main positive battery terminal. That is B+ or Battery positive terminal, not the B+ on the Alltrax which comes from the solenoid.

Your 200 amp thermal breakers should do the same thing. But you'll need to cable to them instead of mounting it on the battery.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #38
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Tom, this may be a stupid question, but where did you tap in for your converter? I don’t see any 3rd wires on your posts.... I figured coming right from the shunt and breaker would be the obvious spot... I guess I could tap off the 200amp thermal breaker (+) and ground it to the shunt (-)... 🤔

This is where I’m at so far... I’m going very slow and triple checking everything...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9469763F-1F57-4625-93E4-9C12EB1E7A32.jpg (160.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 56FD84AD-0A49-4C8C-ABA8-8F14253F6BEF.jpg (132.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3640E73E-E7CB-4B22-8B1A-E0A76A1FC59F.jpg (161.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #39
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Tom, this may be a stupid question, but where did you tap in for your converter? I don’t see any 3rd wires on your posts.... I figured coming right from the shunt and breaker would be the obvious spot... I guess I could tap off the 200amp thermal breaker (+) and ground it to the shunt (-)... 🤔

This is where I’m at so far... I’m going very slow and triple checking everything...
If you look real close at this photo, you'll see a #12 purple coming off the solenoid where the B+ wire connects and a #12 black coming off the B- Alltrax terminal where the B- wire connects. The black goes to the back terminal strip and the purple goes to the re terminal strip. I didn't want anything coming off the battery or shunt except the mail cables and the charger wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210825_125433_6.jpg (213.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210825_125424_5.jpg (190.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Tom47; 08-26-2021 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Added photos
Old 08-26-2021, 06:43 PM   #40
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Tom... you’ve been my security blanket during this instal, I thank you brother 🍻...

I went ahead and did something similar... (-) is sourcing from the B-Altraxx bolt and the (+) is coming off the load side of my 200amp thermal on its way to the solenoid...

I am about to power this thing up for the first time... I have to admit, even thought I’ve triple checked everything I’m nervous... the wiring is completely different then the original, there isn’t a single wire in the same spot...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car