lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2022, 12:56 PM   #1
sean31
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Yamaha G29 motor

working on a cart for a friend. Apparently all worked fine until it didn't. I tested all batteries first (which were good) charged the pack and started troubleshooting. I came up with lack of continuity between the A1 and A2 terminals. From searching threads this told me the brushes were bad. Took everything apart and the brushes were almost non-existent. Cleaned everything up free of carbon dust and cleaned the commutator with carb cleaner and hit it with a scotch brite pad. It looked a little beat up, but I reassembled everything anyway. Tested the motor and verified continuity between A1-A2 and F1-F2 and all was well. Re-installed and no go :( . My question is this most likely a motor replacement at this point ? is there anything else I should be checking prior to?
thanks Sean
sean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G29 motor

I would test the motor separately - brush replacement should have made it work again. Connect A1 to F1, A2 to F2 and hook up a battery to A1 and A1 with the wheels off the ground. It should run slowly with an 8V battery. If the motor is good, the controller is probably shot. Brush failures often damage the controller.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:54 PM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hmm, you could test the motor separately with one 12v battery
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:10 AM   #4
sean31
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will give this a try. It does have a newer Navitas controller that I can see what's going on via Bluetooth and the app. Thanks !
sean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #5
JeebusCrunk
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I would test the motor separately - brush replacement should have made it work again. Connect A1 to F1, A2 to F2 and hook up a battery to A1 and A1 with the wheels off the ground. It should run slowly with an 8V battery. If the motor is good, the controller is probably shot. Brush failures often damage the controller.
Did you mean connect battery to A1 and A2 after linking the A's with the F's?
JeebusCrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:22 AM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, that's what he said. Use an auxilary battery or one from the cart. And, WHEELS OF THE GROUND
Old 08-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #7
JeebusCrunk
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Yes, that's what he said. Use an auxilary battery or one from the cart. And, WHEELS OF THE GROUND
He said A1 and A1, I was just asking for clarification to make sure that the second 1 was the typo, and not the second A. I'm a tech and a have a G29 in my shop that seems to be working as it should all the way to the motor, but getting nothing from the motor, so was somewhat sure motor is the issue, just came here to see if these Hitachis can be bench tested the way I do with DC Ezgo's and Club Cars (don't have nearly as much experience with Yam as I do the other 2.)
JeebusCrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:53 AM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You're right, a typo... jumper cable between a1 / F1 and a2 /f2, then battery to a1 / a2. Should be possible on the bench also.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:29 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Do NOT do this on the bench! The armature is only supported on one end when the motor is out of the cart. You WILL destroy the motor if you try to run it on the bench with no support on the output shaft! Test it in the cart with the wheels off the ground.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #10
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sch... forgot that, sorry! In the cart only
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha