lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
jgoody
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Please help before i intentionally burn my garage to the ground

Alright so I'm either frustrated and pissed….or I'm pissed and frustrated? Anyway before everyone says do a search, trust me i did. I have searched my problem to the begging of golf cart history.

So i picked up a cherry, looks like its right off the showroom floor 1982 G1. guy said it ran when he parked it 6 years ago, recently tried to get it running and it stumped him. So here i am, I drained the fuel tank, i replaced the carb, fuel pump, oil pump, starter, both solenoids and have a brand new battery. The **** thing won't run.

I turn the key to forward and hit the accelerator and the solenoids click and thats it, i put it in reverse and the buzzer goes off, hit the accelerator and the solenoids click and thats it, i double checked my wiring from solenoid to starter and ignition to solenoid and its perfect. I took a meter and i have power everywhere in all the right places, i have done all the test that everyone has posted on the site… for the life of me i can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

If anyone has a thought please point me in a direction.
jgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Please help before i intentionally burn my garage to the ground

motor ground wire ??
Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

You didn't say if the starter/gen was actually turning over the engine? Do some testing by way of jumpering around the solenoid to see if the starter turns.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
jgoody
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

no the starter is not turning over. the only thing that happens is the solenoid click. i took a jumper line and hooked onto my small ignition posts on solenoid (guessing they are ignition) and hooked up to battery, solenoid clicked but starter did not turn over, tried this on both solenoids. Could all of this possibly be a CDI issue?
Old 03-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
jgoody
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Is that correct teecro or do you recommend another way? trust me at this point if you told me to put one wire in my mouth and connect to the battery i would probably try it
Old 03-31-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
jgoody
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will double check crash, i did check the four connectors on the bottom. I do not recall checking the ground.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoody View Post
Is that correct teecro or do you recommend another way? trust me at this point if you told me to put one wire in my mouth and connect to the battery i would probably try it
No don't try that just yet.... We just want to make sure the VERY basic items work and go backward from there. While it was ugly can't tell you how many starters have been checked by shorting a screwdriver across the big solenoid terminals.... But perhaps since the solenoids click just try a meter reading from the starter lead to (-) and see if you get voltage. You may have a frozen starter or rotten brushes inside....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #8
crash test dummy

just a side note , just hearing a solenoid click does not mean it is working

solenoid test
Quote:
Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. remove all wires, from solenoid
test 1
Connect an volt meter, set on continuity, place on the two large terminal studs. The meter should indicate no continuity, Replace the solenoid if continuity is present.
test 2
Using jumper wires attach from main positive and main negative of battery pack to the two small solenoid studs, polarity is not important. You should hear a click as the solenoid engages, and the meter should indicate continuity on the two large terminals. Replace the solenoid if continuity is not present.
if solenoid clicks rapidly solenoid is bad
Old 03-31-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

if we are starting with basics you can turn the motor over by hand right? its not locked up?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
jgoody
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah i wasn't sure if the click on the solenoid was a good or a bad thing… so i did check my lead (-) on the starter/gen and I was reading 12.3 volts (i think i was on A2 but not sure). Yes i can turn the clutch by hand. I actually broke the whole motor down a couple days ago just to take a look inside, did a little port and polishing…had to replace crank shaft seal while i was in there. what next
I was messing around with my volt regulator and on my positive i have full 12 volt power, and on the negative side i/m only reading like 4 volts… does that sound right?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha